Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 65 66 67 (68) 69 70 71 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Several of the commercial water pump rebuilders are substituting a stamped stainless steel impeller, perhaps not a bad idea given the possibility of age deterioration of plastic ones, even NOS. Here's a pic of mine, impeller from a late model GM water pump, I believe. It's been in there about 13 years now, no problem. I had to very slightly grind the edges of the vanes to get an appropriate minimum clearance to the housing (could have used a thicker gasket, I guess, but seemed the better solution).

Attach file:

jpg  (103.24 KB)
177_4c88edc0ec1fa.jpg 1009X1035 px

Posted on: 2010/9/9 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
oh details details.....please please....any idea where i can get that done, maybe where you did?

that seem like a better idea too, but i bought the one off ebay cause it was 15 bucks and the ones from online venders were, used 60, NOS 90...so yeah...good buy there.

with the water pump being concave and the veins on the impellar set to match up....is there any concern for cavitation with the GM pump impellar.....i am guessing not since you have been running it for 13 years, but i thought i would ask.

thanks man!!!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/9 12:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hank, visit the local auto repair shops and you may find one as I did on a discarded pump, I'm pretty sure this was recent GM. Also, as of a couple of years back Max Merritt was using this type of impellor on his rebuilt pumps, maybe in fact the same one.

No, I've had no problems. Even the 95+ degrees of Gettysburg including several hours of stop and go on an interstate in the broiling sun wasn't enough to move the temp gauge more than just a tad past center. I was especially pleased with that in that the radiator is original and though I've reverse-flushed it, it's never been serviced by a radiator shop.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well, if i can find that impeller or if you remember exactly what GM it was from (i did an ebay search for just water pump impeller and i don't see one that looks the same). then i will do a write up on how to rebuild it with this new impellar style, would be great for the website addition.

thanks again Owen!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/9 13:30
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well, if i can find that impeller or if you remember exactly what GM it was from (i did an ebay search for just water pump impeller and i don't see one that looks the same). then i will do a write up on how to rebuild it with this new impellar style, would be great for the website addition.

also was yours just pressed on, was there any modification needed to the stem to make it fit.

thanks again Owen!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/9 13:30
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hanks, it's been a bunch of years, I doubt I even knew when I picked it up what it was from. As I recall I just pressed it onto my shaft. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 13:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
its all good, in the google age surely i'll come across it somehow. no worries bro, thanks for the pic and the idea!

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/9 13:55
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, check with Feltz Terrill. He probably has one laying around and will give it to you. You could probably drive over there and talk with him about it. Nice guy and a good Packard friend.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/9 18:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i am sorry, i don't know him or where he is at.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 21:07
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Do a Google search for "Terrill Machine"

Posted on: 2010/9/9 21:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 65 66 67 (68) 69 70 71 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved