Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: If you are under sixty, how did you get interested in Packards?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mark(mnrhuff),
Great story, great pic's and a great family connection. to PackardInfo and for including your '52 300 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

And a request, would you be able to create an entry for your Grandfathers Packard Dealership in Tucumcari New Mexico including the pic's above? I couldn't find one in the Packard Dealerships listing here on PackardInfo. There is an entry for the Priddy Motor Company in Tucumcari but there are no details.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
I Sure will... the cool thing is, is that I still own those Buildings. In the back of the Malt shop (ran by my Grandmother Lilly Huff) I still have a bunch of Packard and Hudson manuals and shop books. Also there are at lest 3 cigar boxes of old "trade in" car keys, and a hood form an unknown model car still in the box.
I am still trying to get the 300 started... showing my lack of knowledge and excitement of getting the Packard here to Colorado a week ago, I ran out and bought a new 6 volt battery, threw it on and cranked away... with no luck, replaced the old wires, and coil... still no spark. downloaded the wiring diagram to start tracing a possible issue, and looked closer... the battery is in backwards. Yes... backwards... so I hope it didn't mess up something else. Tomorrow Ill be opening the hood and piddling under the hood again.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 21:33
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Well I tried to load the info on the Huff motor Co and a few pics several times. I keep getting the "cant be displayed" after I hit submit. Ill try again here in a few days, Im on DSL and a prayer here...

Posted on: 2013/5/9 22:05
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
My Packard obsession began when I was 16, 8 years ago. I am now 24, I always wanted an old car, I was looking at Fords, Chev, Pontiacs etc, and one day came across a Packard in a magazine and said to myself "Wow A Packard... Thats what I want" I got in touch with the Packard Club of Australia and a member came out to visit me and showed me photos of Packards and gave me information on the cars. A few months later I say a Packard advertised for sale only 30 mins from where I lived so I persuaded my parents to take me to go look at it. It was a 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan. It was out of my price range but I wanted to see a Packard in real life. Once I saw the car I fell in love with it and over the next few months I negotiated with the seller and my mother and we finally reached an agreement. At the time I didn't have my license so my dad drove it home. It was an amazing experience. A few months passed and I eventually got my learners driving permit. The first manual I ever drove was the 1934 Packard, I had a few acres so learnt to drive the car around the property. (People used to call it an expensive paddock basher) Since getting my full license I have done over 10,000 miles in that Packard.

I was told that when you start getting into the car hobby you will end up with more than one car. I thought no, ill just have the one... Well, i did for a few years. I went for a ride in a 1956 400 and could not believe how comfortable and easy it looked to drive. So that was it I was out looking for a 'modern' Packard. I came across a 1955 Packard Caribbean on Ebay and ended up winning the auction. So now I have 2 Packards... (& no money left) I became quite involved in the Australian Packard Club, and have had the opportunity to build the Australian club website, and regually enjoy going on runs and rallies. I can say Packards are defiantly now in my blood, and will always be. With the Caribbean re-re-restoration almost complete I am looking forward to enjoying that car. So thats the story of how I got involved with Packards

Cheers,
Mathew.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Mathew:

I am truly in awe of anyone who can figure out how to talk his parents into buying a nearly 80-year-old car before he even gets his learner's permit! And to also own a '55 Caribbean at 24! All I can say is Wow! It only took me 26 years of marriage and dropping more hints than raindrops in a downpout before my wife caved in and we bought our Clipper. Before we bought it, she asked me an interesting question: "Is this your dream car?" I had to reply in all honesty that I do not really have a dream car -- it's really more the dream of owning something a well built and inspiring as a Packard. I have the feeling that you know what I mean.

I read about the tours and activities that Packard clubs in Australia, New Zealand, and other countries and it always makes me happy to know that this make has brought out such loyalty and devotion. As long as there are young guys like you everywhere around the world, we old guys (over 60) should not lay awake worrying about the marque's future. Somewhere there is a teenager at a car show or watching a tour go by taking in the likes of a '41 180 or a 1956 400 and like you, thinks, "I've got to have one of these." If that person shows even half the commitment and perserverance you possess, then our wonderful cars will continue to thrive into one generation after another.

I can only imagine what your friends think about your collection. When I was your age, anyone who had cars like yours certainly impressed me. I also envied them. Just by owning and driving your cars you are planting the seed of future Packard ownership in the minds of young men and women who would otherwise have been satisfied with late-model Hondas and Toyotas. I wish I could reach out and shake your hand!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/10 8:32
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Just came across this thread and read every one of them. Great stories ! I'll be 54 this year so I guess that still qualifies me.....LOL....although I have a grey beard.....
I actually had my eye on a 1950 2 door Nash. I tried to get the money I needed through the bank but they didn't think it was a good idea......The Nash got sold and I set out to find another when I came across this 1951 Patrician 400 in March of 2012. A gentleman up in Wichita Falls,Texas had it on craiglist. I called and made arrangements to go and look at it with my wife. We got there and he had a battery charger on it. It fired right off and my wife and I took it for a drive. Let me tell you....it was rough, looked rough, drove rough, steered like a bulldozer, but I liked it. I liked the look, the body lines the character of the car. He was asking $3500, I offered $3000 and he said "Sold" ! Since bringing the old girl home, I took it to the 2012 Salado Packard Meet, the 2012 Lone Star Roundup in Austin,Texas and little jaunts here and there since. I didn't make it to those events this year due to work and mechanical issues with her. Those have been since taken care of. Took it to a car show this past Saturday and came home with a trophey ! Her first ! I have met some awesome Packard folks and the old girl gets smiles and waves everywhere we go. As they say "Things happen for a reason".......

HotRod

Attach file:

jpg  (65.08 KB)
4430_519c423f80a62.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/21 23:00
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I like the petina (or however u spell that) on ur car

Posted on: 2013/5/22 6:46
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Just over the wire (60, pushing 61) but I'll throw in my two cents. When I was a kid in the early '60's, most all Packards I encountered were rusty, krusty used cars on back lines of small used car lots or in junkyards. A lot of bathtubs, Contours and a few V8's, all rundown, typical western New York cars.

But, we also got Motor Trend magazine, in the Swap 'n Sell column in the back page were Packard like nothing I was seeing. Those were pre-war Twelves and Super Eight, some with custom coachwork, and glamorous Caribbeans. That's where the curiosity and the interest to learn everything I could about Packard began.

Lesson: Never discount the old car magazine handed to a kid showing a bit of interest or refuse a ride to a young person displaying curiosity about your Packard....that's where the next generation of owners will come from!

Steve

Posted on: 2013/5/22 6:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Steve:

Good point. At the City of Fairfax (VA) Antique Car Show last Saturday, this nice young Chinese couple -- early 20s, I'd say -- were strolling about looking with genuine curiosity at the old Fords, Chryslers, and Chevys. But what really caught their eye were a 1933 Packard Eight roadster and my 1955 Clipper. I made a point of talking to them about my car ... opening the hood and showing them the engine, the truck, explaining its features. The young man asked if he could take a photo of his girl friend sitting behind the wheel of the Clipper. I said sure, and he took a couple of shots. Then they switched places and she took photos of him, smiling, gripping the steering wheel. I think they really appreciated having me take the time to talk with them and allow them such access to my old car. I don't know if it will turn them into collectors or not, but I do know that a few more experiences like that and they will be very likely to go to more car shows.

I think it is important for us old car guys to get off of our asses and engage with the young people coming around to look at our cars. They don't see cars like ours very often and know very little about them. I think most kids naturally like cars because cars take them from place to place. Old cars, dripping with chrome and hood ornaments and two-tone paint jobs, are unlike anything new on the road. My point is, the kid you talk to today may just be the one who will buy your Packard in the future.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 9:49
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

JOEL PACKARD
See User information
Hi there, I am 43 years old i started looking at Packard because it is my last name. I had 55 when i was 24. Motor was locked up needed fenders at that time i just had to kids so had to sell it. but last year me and my son got a 56 executive runs so just have to check everything on it and paint it.

Joel Packard
( THE PACKARDS PACKARD )

Posted on: 2013/5/22 10:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved