Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Treadlrvac???????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
NO. NOT as a replacement for the compensator port. The idea is to develope a seal to keep atmosphere from entering into the reservoir. That is to keep the system SEALED like the modern brake systems.

Sealed from atmosphere to what end?

Posted on: 2009/5/23 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
1. if the compensator port fails (even just slightly) there will be NO brakes as in absolutely NO BRAKEING effect WHATSOEVER.. So pushing fluid down the lubricator gallery is a moot point. My BTV never failed. NOT ONCE! But i had to continualy fill the cylinder about every 200 miles.

I was only responding to your question about presence of fluid on the vacuum cylinder.

I've only had to top off the M/Cs in those Packards that still used glycol-based fluids once or twice a year, but I'm not drving any of them daily - not at all in several years, now. That and finding hard wax-like residue instead of liquid in the brake systems of cars that hadn't seen the road in decades leads me to believe the the glycol-fluid condense - that some component of the fluid evaporates.

Quote:
2. THe vacuum unit should be SEALED from the MC AND the atmoshere at the mateing point of the cyl/vacuum unit. That is to say, that it should not matter if the MC leaks or does not leak or even if the MC is assembled to the vacuum unit at all. THE VACUUM unit SHOULD NOT LEAK VACUUM AT THAT POINT! PERIOD.

Whether the vacuum cylinder leaks at its juncture with the M/C depends on the condition of the seals. BTV or not, tandem master cylinder or not, I wouldn't put much faith in decades old seals.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See post #12 of
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2178&forum=2&post_id=29191#forumpost29191

I believe that the person makeing post #12 had the BTV rebuilt by a qualified rebuilder about 1 to 3 years earlier.
SO, old or aged seals is not an issue in this particular case.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 21:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In that particular case it might not be old seals, but it's possible for a seal to be defective of other reasons.

Still, one could also have a problem with the die-cast master cylinder housing/bore.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"finding hard wax-like residue instead of liquid in the brake systems of cars that hadn't seen the road in decades leads me to believe the the glycol-fluid condense - that some component of the fluid evaporates."

Evaporates to Where???? The only place it can evaporate to is the atmosphere. Seal the reservoir from the atmosphere and that problem is solved.

Also, there are those touting the draining and flushing of brake fluid every 1 to 3 years. A reservoir seal would eliminate this. No??

Posted on: 2009/5/23 22:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Such a diaphragm might slow down evaporation but what kind of driver doesn't check the brake fluid level or have it checked periodically?

Anyway, I don't believe the rubber is 100% air-tight. Also, it has been reproted that glycol-based fluid can draw mositure out of the air - right through rubber. I've found internal rusting even in modern sealed system.

I've seen clubs involved with more modern cars, fitted from the factory with "sealed" braked systems, that DO recommend draining glycol-based fluid, cleaning the M/C reservoir and refilling every couple of years.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All of the standard brake fluids (excepting silicone) are hydroscopic to one degree or another and hence they absorb moisture. Even the best of the stuff, perhaps BMW's DOT 4, will do it. Frequent use of the car and heat generated by using the brakes tends to reverse the process, so cars that sit for long periods of time or see little road use will suffer the greatest problems associated with moisture, rust, crystallization and degredation of the fluid components.

Draining and flushing brake fluid every few years is MUCH more important if the car doesn't see regular use. That's really about the only advantage to using a silcone fluid, great for museum cars and the like.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 22:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On the subject of the 55/56 Manual underfloor MC..... any idea why they decided to move them under the floor? 54 and prior the MC's were mounted forward of the firewall on the framerail behind the steering box. The rear mounting bolt doubles as a Ultramatic linkage pivot point.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.89 KB)
1_4a199e23ed879.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (76.79 KB)
1_4a199e5e916f4.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/5/24 14:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would imagine it had something to do with the Torsion Level bars being in the way.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 14:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Ok so someone mentioned they would like to know why others units hve failed.

A far as I can tell mine failed due to the type of clamp used on the vacuum (being the original), meshed with low fluid and tons of that white buildup.

Haven't taken it apart, so I haven't seen the rest I the inside, but from what I could tell it hasn't been serviced since the 80's.

[Edit] cheanged the clamps to seal the vacuum and added fluid. Now they Works alright now but I'm not satisfied just yet. Not sure what to do about that buildup.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 10:12
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved