Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 213

BigKev, Danny, kevinpackard, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Interior restoration question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Headlining seems to be vinyl in my car

Posted on: 2011/1/4 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Seems to be so.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 14:13
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
bhappy -

It's natural for threads to drift off-topic over long periods. I'm just glad we got back to the headlining question. As you can see, if you've been following the thread, that question opened up a real can of worms, as type of headlining material doesn't appear to have been well-documented in the available factory materials.

Yet, in additional to the good anecdotal evidence, I've since found that Packard covered headlining material, as bulk yardage, in two separate groups of the parts book: fabric (cloth) in Gr. 31.4742 and "imitation leather" (aka - vinyl) under the last subheading of Gr. 31.481.

Trim Set No. 43, as originally used in your '56 Exec sedan, is only referenced in Gr. 31.4742, which confirms it was cloth, and shows it was Light Green in color. Nothing else beyond that.

While the factory didn't offer an all-leather interior (in regular production) in the Exec or Clipper lines for '56, it appears, then, that any Trim Set involving vinyl or leather would have had a vinyl headliner. Though the parts book has little more to say about that material than color, our anecdotal evidence suggests that material would have been perforated in '56. However, it looks like it wasn't available in any dark shades, back then.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
BH,

Thank you for clearing this up for me. My 56 Exec has the light green cloth headliner (in a kind of flannel material). It is in good shape and I wanted to know if it had been replaced.

I now have to decide whether to reupholster my interior in teal leather and fabric ($5000), or just to replace the fabric and leave the original vinyl ($1500).

The headliner should still work with either option, but the windlace is trash. It will be replaced with a leather-wrapped foam with the leather/fabric option, and a fabric wrapped foam with the cheaper, fabric option.

Thanks again for all of your help, it always amazes me of everybodys kindness to share.

Bob

Posted on: 2011/1/4 15:38
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Not to put too fine a point on it, but my 56 Pat's headliner is UN-perforated vinyl. That may just be because it is a SPEC order, but the possibility exists for other 56 vehicles.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 1:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Sigurbjorn, That's the first time I've seen you post although it's obvious you have before. Did you post a pic of your car in the owner's registry? Glad to see you here.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 9:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

While I had advised that the headliner in your special Pat was NON-perforated, for some reason, I thought it was genuine leather, rather than vinyl, and had gone back and edited my post to state that. My bad. I stand corrected - vinyl it is.

Meanwhile, that headliner in your car is definitely part of some sort of special order equipment as there is no listing for orange (or vermillion) vinyl headlining material in the parts book.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 10:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sigurbjorn, That's the first time I've seen you post although it's obvious you have before. Did you post a pic of your car in the owner's registry? Glad to see you here.

It was actually Sigurbjorn's car that I was referencing early in this thread when I commented about an export 55 Clipper with vinyl headliner. Sigurbjorn was kind enough to give me a lovely tour of parts of Iceland in his Clipper when I was ported in Reykjavik some years back.

Here's the man himself and his car. Photo on the approaches to Pingvellir as I recall, a truly dramatic bit of landscape!

Attach file:

jpg  (69.51 KB)
177_4d248ff1df2e8.jpg 886X595 px

jpg  (58.56 KB)
177_4d2490b5a6e60.jpg 704X528 px

Posted on: 2011/1/5 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Yes a photo of my Packard is in the registry.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.18 KB)
63_4d24abf9c4f03.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2011/1/5 12:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
Kevin, I am redoing the interior of my 1937 115C bus coupe, I want to have it look stock, but certainly dont mind a modern fabric that is stain resistant and wears well. Kantor is sending me swatchs but I want to see what other companies offer. Thanks, Rich

Posted on: 2011/3/22 13:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved