Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Sanding Car ready for Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
So do you agree that Water bourne paints have a better finish ?

Posted on: 2010/12/30 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wouldn't say they have a "better" finish, they have a satisfactory finish with the environment being the major beneficiary.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If they have a better finish it is because they are covered with old fashioned chemical based clearcoat. In a waterborne system the primer and clear are chemical, only the color coat is waterborne.

A straight paint job without clear uses chemical solvents so it comes to the same thing as far as pollution.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
No car company could afford to use nitrocellulose lacquer in the fifties. It was just too expensive and labor intensive. As I said before, the only cars I know that got that finish, were special order custom built Chrysler Imperial limousines, that were finished at the Derham custom body works. The Chrysler factory did not have the facilities.

I believe the pyroxilin synthetic enamel was the standard finish before the acrylics (enamel and lacquer) came along in about 1955. The acrylics were more durable and easier to apply, even then only the Cadillacs and other expensive cars got the acrylic lacquer.

Maybe some of the old timers can tell us exactly what Packard was using in 1954. I bet it wasn't nitro lacquer.

Points of fact (from DuPont's own website):

* DUCO was Dupont's tradename for their nitrocellulose lacquer

* DULUX was their tradename for their alkyd enamel

* DuPont's Lucite? automobile finish lacquers were first marketed commercially in 1956.

Last but not least, all the DuPont paint chip sets that we have on file at PackardInfo for Packards of the 1950s show DUCO through 1957. Beginning in 1953, the chip sets included a note that DULUX formulas were also available.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
DUCO was Dupont's tradename for their nitrocellulose lacquer

Was this the same nitrocellulose lacquer that had to be built up coat by coat then wet sanded and polished? Or was it the improved formula that was more durable and easier to apply?

The original question was about how hard it is to refinish over the original paint on a 54 Packard. My position is that it should not be a problem. The paint they used then was not as finicky as the hand rubbed lacquer which was prone to cracking.

Pyroxilin and nitrocellulose are similar materials so just the name pyroxilin or nitrocellulose does not tell the whole story.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, DUCO was a refined nitrocellulose lacquer, introduced in 1922.

Yet, you had previously stated, in post #60 of this thread:

Quote:
I seriously doubt Packard was using nitrocellulose in the fifties. My guess is they used synthetic enamel like everyone else.

Then, you open with the statement, in post #63 of this thread:

Quote:
No car company could afford to use nitrocellulose lacquer in the fifties.

...and later go on to say that...

Quote:
I believe the pyroxilin synthetic enamel was the standard finish before the acrylics (enamel and lacquer) came along in about 1955.

My intent is not to quote you out of context, but these statements give the impression that Packard was using acrylic enamel or lacquer in the 1950s, which is not the case.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The V8 parts books list exterior lacquer colors, and interior paint an air drying enamel, page XII & XIII.

The 22nd thru 54th does not say lacquer for exterior, but does list air drying enamel for the interior, page XVI & XVII.

Why did they use both?

Different paint for different protection of the painted surfaces? A harder gloss shine on the outside and a muted tone on the inside?

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Which would be more durable? I think lacquer is harder and easier to scratch or chip but does have a deeper luster. Isn't enamel a thicker coat -- wonder if they used enamel on the inside because it might wear better or maybe not need much upkeep.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
So on show cars, what do people tend to use? And is it just a question of many coats of paint to achieve that show look?

Posted on: 2010/12/31 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
So are you going for a show car or nice driver? Makes a world of difference, at least double the cost.

Most painting pros I know think that organic based paint has superior finish to waterborne paint. It will be a moot point soon, though.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 11:11
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved