Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 72 73 74 (75) 76 77 78 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i understand...but i really refuse to use anything but stock pistons. i really don't want egge pistons. i want Packard. so i guess right now i'm in denial. and i am sure that jack will prove everything i say completely wrong. and i don't have another 800 bucks for egge pistons. just aint gonna happen. unless someone has oversized Packard pistons for free...it aint getting rebored and i'll just have to hope for the best.

before i did all this it was pushing 150 psi of compression.....not bad but not the best.

heck i rebuilt the trans the best i could and i just have to hope for the best for it too.

don't mind me, i'm just cranky and bitchy cause i though that .012 wasn't that bad.

anyways...here are pictures.

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (191.45 KB)
491_4d23ecb9c7309.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (195.60 KB)
491_4d23ecca34cd1.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (204.62 KB)
491_4d23ecd78366e.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (153.97 KB)
491_4d23ece7b4d9b.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (147.04 KB)
491_4d23ecf4cea9e.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/1/4 23:01
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, I admire your dedication and tenacity, and wish you success in your rebuilding efforts. I didn't mean to rain on your parade, just the opposite - offering some non-solicited opinions. Look forward to seeing you in Salado.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/5 10:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you're fine JW....i was just having a bad day. you didn't rain on my parade...i would have seen it when i read the manual more eventually.

i'm just going to have to wish on the stars and hope for the best. i guess the only good thing is that it started and ran pretty good the first time i got it.

i hope to be in Salado, but i'm not sure if the Packard will make it or not. depends on how much i get done on the motor. although i know people enjoy it...its embaracing to bring it in the same shape it was last two years in a row. it needs something new for people to see the next time i bring it.

thanks for the input, i do need it, even if i don't like to hear it sometimes.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/1/5 10:47
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, thanks. I would not worry about showing the Clipper chassis looking much the same as it did last year. Most Packards there are repeats with only a few new ones shown for the first time each year. However, we all seem to enjoy seeing the same Packards year after year after year. Your Clipper chassis is different from anything there and we all get great enjoyment and knowledge from seeing a torsion level chassis work in progress. Take care.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/5 10:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
although i am still pissy about it and in denial...a talk with my dad has moved me to go .020 over on the pistons and just put in the egge pistons and be done with it, especially since i am getting the head worked over nice and tight.

i'm just worried about piston slap with standard and .012 wear on the walls.

so, chime in you guys with egge pistons.....what special things, if any, do i need to do to bore this thing for these pistons? .020 over

randy....weren't you saying something about making some adjustments when boring to allow for what egge calls for while we were in Packard chat a couple of nights ago.

and since i am doing this.....it wont be ready for salado.....i didn't budget another 600-700 for pistons.....so maybe next year.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/1/6 17:21
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think you made the right choice with that much cylinder wall taper or wear. Lots and lots of V8 Packards happily running out there with Egge pistons so for normal car use you should have no concerns, but since they are of a different construction than the OEM pistons, use Egge's piston-fit recommendations and not the original Packard specs which were for pistons with an autothermic strut to control expansion.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 17:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The machinists (Buxbaum bros) who bored out my Caribbean put in .020 over Egge pistons. They machined the clearances per Egge instructions, NOT Packard specs. Packard had steel struts in their pistons and therefore tighter tolerances than Egge which may be described as aluminum slugs. When machined properly the engine will give satisfactory performance. At around $800.00 I have heard you can get a set of very good custom pistons. I don't know this as a fact myself, but it has been reported on this forum.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
At around $800.00 I have heard you can get a set of very good custom pistons. I don't know this as a fact myself, but it has been reported on this forum.

Here's an example (piston on the left is a Packard, not Egge):

Resized Image

BigKev and 39Super8 have seen these in person at the recent PackardInfo mini-meet in Las Vegas. Call Ross and ask them.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/6 18:14
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jack Vines posted this on 10/10/2010:

"Complete professionally rebuilt '56 352" long block. Bored .030" over, new pistons, rings, crankshaft turned, new rod and main bearings. Camshaft reground, new cam bearings, late cam retainer plate and spacer, new cam chain, new lifters, rockers reground. Heads milled, new valve guides, valves reground, positive valve stem seals. $2995

Can ship motor freight dock-to-dock anywhere in the US.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Spokane, WA
509-9536023 "

JV's $3K engine mite be alot cheaper in the long run and the short run than overboring / rebuilding yours.

I'd at least give him a quick call if i was in your situation.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 18:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks but i'm not interested in the long block. i want to keep it it numbers matching even if it cost more, it just means it will take me longer to do it.

my dad said....take time....do it right, you don't want to have to do it over again. i'm just rushing because i wanted it ready before salado and rushing causes problems.

my machinist is recommending .030, but for the life of me i can't remember why. it made since when he explained why on the phone. i'm having a brain fart right now on that one.

if you can get custom pistons made....why can't one get them made to be identical to the Packard piston, just .030 bigger?? i mean that is what a CAD machine is for. that way you can keep the skirts, pretty much it will be identical to getting a .030 piston from Packard. am i just being silly there??? i wonder if Ross can do that. i see the picture that was posted from Ross, but the piston they have doesn't have the skirts like the Packard on the left.

and on another note, wouldn't egge pistons be the same thing as getting custom ones made up....just cheaper? aren't egge the same thing in a way? idk.....

and i wonder...what would .030 make the cubic inch be from 352?

i wish Jack was around my area.....i'd just take it to him.

oh boy, its gonna be a long road.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/1/6 22:12
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 72 73 74 (75) 76 77 78 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved