Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 69

Don Shields, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »

Re: Easamatic Rebuild Sources
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am willing to concede bubble lids are out there but thinking they more likely came on exchange or service units when Packard was no longer in the picture. It might have even been a Studebaker or SASCO supplied item. I can only say none of the units I've been up close and personal with have had them.

One good thing to check with no or intermittent reserve vacuum is the check valve at the manifold end. Those have been known to have issues. It probably hasn't been examined in 50 years so a good look see and cleaning might be in order. Other than that or a dried or cracked hose or pinhole in the reserve canister, not much is left.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

55PackardGuy wrote:
Jim,

I was not the one who posted on the "bubble lid." I don't remember who brought it up, offhand, but it interested me because I was not sure if I had that lid or not. If it refers to raised portions of the reservoir cover that can be seen from outside, I think I might have one. I thought that they might provide channels for fluid flow, especially clearance for the relief port, but when I looked on the inside of the lid, I couldn't make out any evidence that the "bubbles". It looked to me like they were just cast into the outside of the cover.

As for your vacuum leak, I'd sure check the hoses carefully, if you haven't already. The ends of all of mine are hard and cracking. I removed one end from the manifold adaptor and the end just fell apart. I cut it about half an inch shorter to get to some reasonably good rubber. I'm amazed I don't have leaks, given that even this "good" part of the hose was not exactly pliable. I'm tempted to get them all replaced.

You know, some of these failures we blame on the BTV come down to just plain old age and lack of maintenance, I think. It's remarkable to me that the system holds up as well as it does over such long periods of use and disuse. If it just didn't have the habit of going out completely and suddenly, I would give it more credit. I blame those catastrophic failures on engineering deficits. No brake booster should be able to vacuum the MC dry like that.

The picture in the above posting has what I believe Howard refered to as a "bubble lid" which provides a way for brake fluid to be added back to the resevoir.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:40
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Am willing to concede bubble lids are out there but thinking they more likely came on exchange or service units when Packard was no longer in the picture. It might have even been a Studebaker or SASCO supplied item. I can only say none of the units I've been up close and personal with have had them.

One good thing to check with no or intermittent reserve vacuum is the check valve at the manifold end. Those have been known to have issues. It probably hasn't been examined in 50 years so a good look see and cleaning might be in order. Other than that or a dried or cracked hose or pinhole in the reserve canister, not much is left.

I have no doubt that you are right about the lids being replaced in the manner you suggest. I looked at the pictures you provided for a truly flat lid and I now know what you meant. I have never seen those factory lids but that doesn't mean anything. When I was drooling over that solid dark blue '56 Patrician when I was 8 years old I never saw the Master Cylinder even when I looked under the hood which was kindly lifted by the dea;er. I can joke that he made the sale to the 8 year old me back in 1956 - it just took 54 years to take delivery - of my 1955 Packard Patrician.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:50
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Cool Story, Jim. I think I was sold on Packards since I was about 4 years old, since I'd been riding around in one basically since birth! As years went on, my yearning grew, and I saw two '55s sold away by the time I was 18: the family car, a Clipper Custom bought new, and a 400 bought in the early '70s. That was the one I lusted after: Two-door, the coolest interior ever, rear speaker, etc. But, I had nowhere near the skills or old-car savvy to take either of them on. Or the money. So I waited another 35 years or so and somehow wound up with a '54! Still, it has the "sore thumb" tail lights that I grew up with, and is an amazingly cool car in its own right. I have had no buyer's remorse. Frustrations, yes, remorse, no.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 19:30
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Howard, I take it then that the raised sections on the outside of the reservoir cover that I posted in a pic are NOT what is referred to as a "bubble" lid, although they are not perfectly flat on the outside surface as some I have seen.

Do you have any pics of a true "bubble lid"?

Posted on: 2013/8/20 19:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe I confused the issue with "bubble". It was an easy way to differentiate when comparing to the perfectly flat ones -- flat or bubbles. Look or feel on the underside of the lid. If it's the cover I think it is the longest channel or "bubble" on the wide sides will line up over the hole in the gasket above the port to provide a small passage.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 19:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I did not see this channel inside my "bubble" cover, which had the raised sections on the outside of the lid (see pic). I had a pic of the inside of the lid, but I think I accidentally deleted it (wouldn't you know). I'm going to be in pretty close contact with my mechanic who has agreed to rebuild the unit, and can probably take another look at it when it's apart.

I gave my mechanic the complete power brake section out of the '54 manual, plus Ross' great step-by-step guide from the site. I have also let him know about the things that he can expect to be excluded from the kit he will receive (thank you very much HH56) and asked him to call me with any questions as he goes through the unit. If I can't answer the questions, I will relay them here for, I hope, some more great input.

I also hope to get some pics as he opens up the unit and goes through it. I have warned him about the dreaded pits around the seal opening(s) in the casting, and I hope we won't have to deal with that. If we do, the only rebuilder I've heard of that addresses this condition is Midwest Power Products. I will have to send the casting there for sleeving if it turns out to have those pits.

I still wonder if anyone shares my speculations that this condition of pits on the casting where the seal(s) seat is possibly the reason for catastrophic failures of the BTV, or failures of rebuilds.

I think this pitting is an important point of discussion, and I haven't seen it addressed elsewhere, only in HH56's recent post.

A question: is there only one place that this pitting can occur in the casting, or is there more than one place where a metal seal surround is seated into the casting?

Edit:
Aha! I found the pic of the underside of the the reservoir cover (and the horrors inside the reservoir) on an earlier post. With the gasket in place, it's hard to tell if there are any cast-in grooves on the inside.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.95 KB)
917_5214395aab551.jpg 500X647 px

Posted on: 2013/8/20 22:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pitting in the bore for the seal is not likely to cause a sudden and total loss of brakes. THAT ASSUMES that one is keeping check on the brake fluid level. The pitting could certainly cause A GRADUAL loss of fluid as it leaks past the seal at any point.

My 56 Exec never had any significant brake effect failure in 4 years and 10k miles . BUT, i had to top off the reservoir every 200 to 300 miles. So it was leaking but not bad enuf to indicate any problem while driving.

The debris that is shown in the reservoir in the above pic is not uncommon for ANY master cylinder. However, in the case of the BTV THE DEbris can interfere withthe closing and sealing of the compensatorvalve and thus cause a complete and total loss of brakeing effect. Complete and total loss as in ZERO braking performance. Note That the compensator valve is peculiar only to the btv which means that no other master cylinder design usrs anything that resembles such a compensator valve.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 8:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Pitting in the bore for the seal is not likely to cause a sudden and total loss of brakes. THAT ASSUMES that one is keeping check on the brake fluid level. The pitting could certainly cause A GRADUAL loss of fluid as it leaks past the seal at any point.

My 56 Exec never had any significant brake effect failure in 4 years and 10k miles . BUT, i had to top off the reservoir every 200 to 300 miles. So it was leaking but not bad enuf to indicate any problem while driving.

The debris that is shown in the reservoir in the above pic is not uncommon for ANY master cylinder. However, in the case of the BTV THE DEbris can interfere withthe closing and sealing of the compensatorvalve and thus cause a complete and total loss of brakeing effect. Complete and total loss as in ZERO braking performance. Note That the compensator valve is peculiar only to the btv which means that no other master cylinder design usrs anything that resembles such a compensator valve.

This post has some very interesting information. It describes my gradual brake fluid loss to a "T", and I believe that loss went into the vacuum section... but gradually. Now, according to PackardV8, the compensator valve sticking would explain my sudden loss of braking. My question is: would a stuck compensator valve somehow cause a rush of fluid into the vacuum section, and the tailpipe smoke described so often?

I don't know all the channels that brake fluid can go inside the unit, so my question assumes that somebody out there does!

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Answer to question in post directly above:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY and UNEQUIVOCALLY YES!!!!

However sudden loss of massive amoints of brake fluid in just one stroke of the brake pedal is trivial at best compared to the complete and total loss of brake effect.

KEEP IN mind that the BTV fluid dynamics design eng'ring is a peculiar, unorthodox and uncommon design compared to just about any other master cylinder ever offerd in auto and lite truck industry.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 20:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved