Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 19 »

Re: Tom Malas "1931 833 Restoration "
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Pack120c,

I just noticed your are local. What town do you live in?

The local shop that did the chroming for me is
Courtesy Metal Polishing‎
735 North Addison Road,
Villa Park, IL 60181-1469
630) 832-1862‎

I was very pleased with the chroming work that they did, but like I stated earlier only downside for them is that they will not do any type of major welding repairs. They seem to be more of a strip and polish and re-chrome type of shop.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 5:40
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Hey Tom,

Yep, I am in Naperville. Not far from you. Thanks for the info on the plater. In talking to club members here, I have heard that Finishing Touch is highly recommended (very good but pricy). Also heard that Calco Plating does good work (and reasonably priced). Haven't tried either of them yet as I am a long way from plating on my 120. Just getting my ducks in a row for when the time comes. Both are in Chicago.

I hope your headlights turn out to meet your expectations. That is a lot of money. Hopefully the vendor is on the up and up.

BTW - You are doing great work on you car. Top notch.

Dezi

Posted on: 2010/4/20 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
D&D is definitely on the up-and-up, but as I mentioned before, they are used to preparing chrome for cars headed to Pebble Beach, and have no problem getting business from clients and restorers who demand quality with price-no-object.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 10:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
West,

I really appreciate the reference and you did warn me. But not all of us can afford the Price-is-no-object. I was just shocked at the final bill and on that the quoting up front did not cover the material, waste, shipping and handling etc.

All well is said and done now. I will have to be more pushy on getting my quotes up front. Which reminds me I need to call the place that is doing my instrument gauges and see what the status on them are.

I am not sure why these places can't give close to accurate quotes. If they have been in business for a good number of years they should know it off the back of their hands wouldn't you think.

OK sorry for my rambling I will get off my soap box now.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:16
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dezi,

Thank you very much for the compliment. I am doing the best that I can with what resources I have at my disposal.

Maybe we can meet up someday and talk Packard's or what not.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:19
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Well, I agree that the quote should have included the incidentals. As for the cost of shipping, I'm sure they'll be making sure it's packaged properly so that it doesn't get damaged.
We had the Speedster's wheel lock rings plated by D&D, and I was as surprised as you when I got the bill.
I guess you don't want to hear about the fairly nice set of Standard Eight headlights currently on Ebay for a buy it now price of $250!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:22
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
West,

I did place a want add here and on AACA for a just in case mine were not salvageable. John Iaccino did stepped up and offered me a pair he had but I figured with the cost of them and they probably needed to be re-plated it would of cost me more in the long run or maybe not.

John Iaccino if you are reading this thanks again for the offer.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:34
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Quote:

Tom (Packin31) wrote:
Dezi,

Thank you very much for the compliment. I am doing the best that I can with what resources I have at my disposal.

Maybe we can meet up someday and talk Packard's or what not.

Sounds good Tom. I'll shoot you a PM sometime soon to put it together.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 16:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hows the weather been in the Chicagoland Area? I will actually be there all next week for business. (about 2 miles from O'hare). If you Gents are in the area and want to stop by for a drink at the hotel let me know!

Posted on: 2010/4/20 16:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
The weather in Chicagoland has been pretty good lately. Sunny and in the 60's the last few days with an occasional excursion up to 80 degrees. I will on the road for work myself next Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday or Thursday could work. Let me know. It'd be great to meet the "man himself"

Posted on: 2010/4/20 19:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved