Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: V8 engine castings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In post 178 of that forum there is talk of a "dual-range" Ultramatic that was proposed but never produced. Can he be talking of the gear start or Twin Ultra with a faulty description or was there actually a different one proposed for 57 along those lines. I know they were working on more changes but don't recall ever hearing it called a dual range.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The picture associated with post #163 in the link posted by PackardV8 says:

Buxbaum Bros Automotive Machine, Inc.

Apparently they are still in business in Ridgefield Park,NJ.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 22:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Craig, Buxbaum Bros. is the firm that did the restoration of the Stokes engines (and many other Packard marine engines) that have been donated to the various Packard museums by a local benefactor here in NJ.

It's a fine engine rebuilding shop and has done quite a few Packard engines for local enthusiasts. They are quite fully equipped, do their own crankshaft grinding for example, but don't do babbitt.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 22:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Well, it's nice to know that I'm considered a local
I would consider it an honor to be a local with my friends in NJ. I guess I'll get my next engine built by Buxbaum also.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
When we bought the Packard parts from SASCO it included 2 crates of red water pump manifolds which may have been removed from engines purchased by Stokes

Posted on: 2010/8/28 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the counter rotation can be achieved with the gear box. I have seen BW Velvet Drives stamped RH or LH.

I agree with Packard8's comment earlier in this thread that different rotations can be achieved with a gearbox, but there seemed some doubt that the Packard Marine engines were actually built in either rotation. I just came across a data plate from one of Packard's IM-357 marine engines and you'll note it was, like the postwar IM-245 and 356 engines, available in either clockwise or counterclockwise rotation; pairs with counter-rotation were used on dual prop-shaft installations.

The unconventional firing order for right-hand rotation was also used on the 1st and 2nd Series Eight (1923-1926 automotive motors.

Attach file:

jpg  (226.62 KB)
177_4c815b876b49d.jpg 796X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/9/3 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I believe the counter rotation can be achieved with the gear box. I have seen BW Velvet Drives stamped RH or LH.

I agree with Packard8's comment earlier in this thread that different rotations can be achieved with a gearbox, but there seemed some doubt that the Packard Marine engines were actually built in either rotation. I just came across a data plate from one of Packard's IM-357 marine engines and you'll note it was, like the postwar IM-245 and 356 engines, available in either clockwise or counterclockwise rotation; pairs with counter-rotation were used on dual prop-shaft installations.

The unconventional firing order for right-hand rotation was also used on the 1st and 2nd Series Eight (1923-1926 automotive motors.

Very interesting. That must have been in the heyday financially when they could afford the resources to make counter-rotating engines with custom firing orders!

I suspect that by the time the V-8's were offered they were all aftermarket conversions of what were probably surplus engines. The one I have has a serial number of SP-087 on the boss next to the oil filler tube. I'm guessing the "SP" is Studebaker Packard?

Posted on: 2010/9/3 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Found some pix of the one I have in storage. It has "Andres Marine Stockton Ca" on the water-cooled manifolds and the stainless and copper work is quite professional looking. Also note the dual thermostats and custom oil filler tube. It has a bracket and pulley for a circulating raw water pump but the pump is missing. It has a manual reverse gear, possibly a Paragon brand.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.96 KB)
123_4c8169ab163eb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/9/3 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (118.13 KB)
123_4c8169f07294c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/9/3 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (117.05 KB)
123_4c816a138a00e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/9/3 16:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved