Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: All wiring nominal and TL not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thank you PV8 and HH56 for your thorough processes and photos. I'll attack the beast next weekend with new confidence and hope that I might get this resolved soon.

Isn't it amazing how a simple bolt and nut can dash one's hopes and leave one in a bog of dispare

Posted on: 2011/6/12 22:44
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Great news...
was able to get the motor loose and manually turn the worm shaft. The rear end lifted and the car is sitting level

The TL motor is at a specialty shop being checked out prior to it's reinstallation. I did notice one thing while turning the worm shaft, it is not held in by anything and will turn its way out of the case. Is this correct?

The 2 link bars are slightly bent and the outer holding screws don't want to come out. Can I drive the car with the existing bent rods?

I need to check out all components of the TL system to find any non-functioning parts. I dodn't want the car to drop and go through this again.

Almost there!

Posted on: 2011/6/24 7:13
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe bent rods are not an ideal situation of course. But depending on how badly they are bent it mite not present a problem. Just have to give it a try and test the set up when u get the motor back to see if there is any clearence problems. But it just mite run ok.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 8:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can drive with bent rods and never notice it. My first 56 was so equipped and had twisted splines on the output lever assy as well. That bit I found when I decided to change the bars after a year or two of driving. Depending on how bad the bend, worst case is because they are shorter, travel or compensation range may be a tad different.

Just make sure the wiring is 100 percent before reinstalling things. Wouldn't want to press your luck by going thru it again--although you are the person with experience now.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 9:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...Wouldn't want to press your luck by going thru it again--although you are the person with experience now.

Thanks to all of your help, I hope I can help other Packard owners.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 9:30
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad to hear that you are getting problem resolved. If rods are too bad you might give Mike Dulinski a call. I got the motor and the links from him when the Pat's were bent too bad.
Again congratulations.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Glad to hear that you are getting problem resolved. If rods are too bad you might give Mike Dulinski a call. I got the motor and the links from him when the Pat's were bent too bad.
Again congratulations.

Thanks, I have been in contact with Mike Dulinski once I discovered the TL issue. I got replacement rods from him and will put them on if mine are bent too far. Mike is one great resource for parts and knowledge. I'm glad that he was recommended.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 11:56
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Have seen many cars with bent rods, just reduces the maximum adjustment the motor can make by a little. my advice, leave well enough alone. Congrats on your success!

In kindergarten you must have gotten an "Outstanding" in Follows Directions. Next you can try finger painting your car.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congrats. Long may she level.

BUT: The worm shaft should not screw out of the housing. It is (was) retained to a ball bearing by a c-clip. The ball bearing is to take the thrust of the shaft in both directions. That is probably why your motor would not run-- the armature was crammed up against the end cap by the thrust of the worm. The gearbox will have to come out so the shaft can be secured and the bearing checked.

As an aside to all TL owners, that little corner up there where the bearing is seems to be the location that collects all the condensation over the years. Units that jam or howl often have that bearing encased in rust--and yes the little c-clip will rust away and the shaft will jump out of the bearing. The good news is that all those parts are easily available and cheap to replace.

Oh, and while the box is out, just take a big hammer and beat the rods straight on a big rock. They are mild steel and it really doesn't have to be more complicated than that. A socket for your 1/2 inch ratchet that has a screwdriver made onto it will unscrew those rod ends. They were staked in position, but after the first turn they usually come out pretty well.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
...Congrats on your success!

In kindergarten you must have gotten an "Outstanding" in Follows Directions. Next you can try finger painting your car.

maybe so, but I've found it easier to listen to experience than to bull-s***tters

Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:23
Bob

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved