Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Pulleys
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
I have a 1954 Thunderbolt 327 with a power steering pump on it which includes double grooves on the crank and water pump. I do not need the Packard power steering system for the project I am putting this engine in and therefore I listed it for sale at $40.00 for all of the parts a person would need. Meaning that I would pull all of the steering parts required to be able to convert a non-power steering car to one with power steering.

The problem I ran into when I was pulling the pump bracket is that the gentleman will probably want the pulleys to go allong with it. The water pump has two pulleys that bolt on behind the fan to make it a double grooved set up. The outer pulley is for the power steering pump and has a thicker center than the rear pulley for the generator. I have not removed the crank pulley yet that also has two grooves.

My question is, if a 327 came equipped without power steering were the pulleys completely different than that with power steering?

I have tried to offer all of the parts at reasonable prices but now find myself not wanting to strip my engine clean of pulleys. I kind of want to keep the two groove set-up in case I needed it later. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Lynn

Posted on: 2012/5/14 22:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Pulleys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The inner groove on the crank pulley is part of the damper assy and will still be there after you unbolt the outer one.

Anyone who gets the PS will want that outer pulley and the outer one on the water pump as there is no other convenient way to drive the PS pump.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 6:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
So if I unbolt the crank pulley and pull off the front portion can I just run it without the front portion? I am worried that there is some kind of magic piece I would be missing like a different dampner or hub or bolts.

Is the rear pulley on my waterpump usable by itself? It bolts back up fine, it just does not have a thickened hub like the front one and I was wondering if there was a reason.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 8:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I did the reverse on my car. I added those pulleys to drive my future A/C setup. As Ross said those PS pulleys just attached to front of the regular pulleys/dampener.

You will remove the two bolt from the front of the crank, and remove the crank nut. Remove the PS pulley, and then just put the crank nut back on without the two other bolts, as their only function is to hold the PS pulley to the dampener.

Similar with the water pump. Remove 4 bolts that hold on the fan, remove the PS pulley, reattached the fan.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 10:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
Thanks you guys, I will pull them and send them on. I appreciate your time.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 18:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved