Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 252

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1934 1103 generator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear jaegercat:

Yes it is possible to disengage the generator gear from the timing change if you just rip it apart like a maniac.

If you look at your generator you will notice there is a bronze plate in front of the generator. That is the generator gear pinion plate and it holds the gear in place.
If you take that out with the generator you will have some problems. So gently move the generator backward and hold the front plate against the motor. Once the generator is out you can secure with a nut and washers.

Before you take everything apart you can test the generator by grounding the field wire with the motor on high idle. If the ammeter starts charging then you have a regulator problem. There are places that will work on it for you or you can hide a regulator elsewhere on the car. This adds current regulation which is easier on batteries. All that is necessary is to run the field wire under the armature wire.

I have seen loose brush wires cause problems which can be fixed with metallized epoxy.

If your regulator is shorted that will cause overcharging so you have an open circuit somewhere. If the field coil in the regulator opens, the generator fields open, the thermostat gadget opens, or the brushes open then the unit will stop charging. The cutout can also open.

Given that parts are becoming harder and harder you may consider the investment of a top rebuilder.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Guys,

At long last the generator saga is over. I had the genny rebuilt by a local company and they found that a wire had chafed on the comm. and wore through. Attachment shows rebuild.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 7:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, I'm glad to hear the solution was so simple and the "saga" is happily concluded.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave,

The good tips from yourself certainly helped in the removal of the genny of which, I was a bit apprehensive at first.

Thanks a lot.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 9:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved