Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 236

Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Line in gas tank. Help!
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just for clarification, I am still running the filter at the gas tank. But now that the tank is clean, I am not have the issue with the sediment overwhelming the filter. Also I am using "The Mother of all Filters" which has a huge pleated surface area compared to those normal small pleated filters. I believe this was off an aviation application, and is about the size of a soup can.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 9:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Thanks Big Kev! That was my next question, shall I insert one just in front of the tank? The type that has a line in out the top, and line out the bottom, lying on it's side? Do you have a pic of your set up?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:30
1949 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
The float looks good, but am curious about filters....figger I'll have to run a while and get around to going through the carb soon.....

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a lot in my project blog that would apply to your car as well as mechanically they are very similar.

But here is a picture of my setup, now I also have a backup electric pump by the tank as well for priming and vapor lock situations. But 99% of the time, I am just running off of the original mechanical pump.

This first picture shows the difference between a typical standard fuel filter that you can at most auto parts stores and the one I am running, that Jim was kind enough to provide to me.

The second picture shows the previous filter and the electric pump installed inside the frame rail. This is basically how my setup looks now, but with the larger filter in it's place. The small screen filter worked well when the car was in the garage, but as soon as I started moving and the gas sloshed around in the tank and broke loose rust, that filter would leave me stranded because of the small surface area it had. But now since I have had the tank media blasted inside and out and the coating baked on, I don't have any issues. Plus that large pleated filter provides an enormous about of surface area for anything that does get in the tank in the future.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.48 KB)
1_4fbd043567a76.jpg 765X1280 px

jpg  (43.31 KB)
1_4fbd0490b920f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:43
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Looks great! Thanks again! Where does one find the big filters?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you have a clean, coated tank, then I think the Fram G3 will serve you for many years with no issues. The large filter came from Jim in AZ, and his buddy sources them for some type of aviation application. Thats about all I know.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though perhaps not as large as the one BigKev has, Jeep Cherokees (in some or perhaps all years) used an extra large size gas filter. Have your auto parts store show you one and decide.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Jim in AZ? I am in AZ too! But for the time I will check on the Jeep ones, and I might have one (Fram G3) in the back of the Barracuda? Will look....

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved