Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 256

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1950 windshield wiper cable
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no other pulley -- just the two on each tensioner. What kind of center mechanism do you have? The kind with a round pulley with cables wrapped around it in separate grooves or a straight bar with a cable going to each side attached at top and bottom.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 10:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
There was something in the service counselors on wipers, have you looked at them? I do not know if it will help you or not.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Is the unit you are currently working with stamped "81946-1-R"? That should be the correct Trico part number for a 23rd series Packard. There is one on ebay right now. The seller might be persuaded to measure the cables for you.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2012/6/7 22:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I saw the unit on ebay. The price was great which is why I purchased it. Believe it or not that is the one that I am currently working with.

I am looking at the links .. what am I looking for ?

OTG

Posted on: 2012/6/11 15:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Here are some pics of that I am working with. Maybe you see something I don't.

Looking at it from the glove compartment.

Thanks
OTG

Attach file:

jpg  (64.59 KB)
656_4fd65e659afb3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (66.19 KB)
656_4fd65f012f9f7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/6/11 16:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I sure don't see much that can go wrong -- not like the models which used a center piece with a pulley that needs to wrap a certain way. How do the cables exit the cast piece. Does it just exit in a straight run on both sides from where it's attached or is there supposed to be a wrap around the pulley that would take up some extra. It may not be possible to make any changes in the cast piece but just a question for those that are familiar with that model.

I am wondering if there is a misprint in the part number or if you have been getting misidentified parts. The cables sure look to be long enough that they are supposed to go over more toward the driver side. This picture JD in KC posted earlier looks like that extra length would be taken up nicely with the motor located per 22nd series.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.12 KB)
209_4fd6752c78e7c.jpg 720X547 px

Posted on: 2012/6/11 17:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Just got back from the garage. My setup is identical to yours. I don't see any way that all that extra slack is due to anything you are doing with your installation. I have to agree with Howard, it sure would appear that unit is a "81946-R" and not a "81946-1-R". I can't account for the extra cable length any other way. Is the cable length the same as the unit Flackmaster had?

Here's a shot of the pulley in my '50, it's no different than yours (except the cable needs cleaning). Shot from the floorboard up. Couldn't get a shot of the pivoting connector without another hand to hold all the 'stuff' out of the way, but it's the same as your photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.30 KB)
188_4fd680663fdad.jpg 864X576 px

Posted on: 2012/6/11 18:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
This unit has 81946-1-R printed right on it. The unit that I have from Flachmaster has longer cables. I would guess they were about 3-4 inches longer. Can you stretch a line on your cables and tell me the lengths ? I am going to put some metal on mine and shorten them. Probably better idea than adding to my extensive collection.

OTG

Posted on: 2012/6/12 14:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the proper piece, there should not be anything needed to cut or change. Hope someone can provide a rough measurement at least.

Before you shorten anything, would you check and make sure your wiper blade has full travel. Pull the new cable on the left (toward center cable) so the wiper blade would pretend to be parked and get an idea where the cables would fall on the center piece. Make sure the cable attachment point on the cast piece pulley is not being stretched at all. Wrap a bit of tape on each cable where they would attach to the cener.

After that, move the good wiper to the full stroke position so the center piece moves with it and verify when you pull the other new cable as if they were connected, the blade will make a full stroke and tape marked spots would be where they need to go.

I can't help but wonder why the extra length and if there should be or could be placed another wrap around the pulley inside the new cast piece. Do you see the pulley inside that piece at all or is it completely closed off with just cables exiting. How does the new compare with your original in that area?

Posted on: 2012/6/12 14:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved