Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 220

Tom (Packin31), bkazmer, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Spear trim clips?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Your last picture "clip on fender by spear point" was originally spot welded on to the back side of the spear point. There were two of these on each point. When mine have come loose I've used JB Weld to reattach the bracket/stud to the back of the point, let it set for overnight and re installed. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 19:01
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have the same wire clips on my 54 Clipper trim, they slide into the chrome front spear and then the clips are pushed into the holes on the front fender. They are loose on one side(passenger). I don't think these are original, but I do need to replace them or make them tighter. Are these replacement clips ? Did the JB weld finally solve your problem?

Posted on: 2012/6/15 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Willis,
I'm not familiar with how "newer Packard's" attach their spears, I have a 51 and a 53. JB weld is one of my wonder helpers. Put the part in the position you want ,mix the two components together and apply to the spear and fastener, let site over night and install. Better living through chemistry. Hope this helps.
Steve....

Posted on: 2012/6/15 10:28
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Hey GearRat52!
Sounds like you can use some new spears. I have a driver's side spear I bought on eBay for my 53 but it will not fit. Think 53 spears are a one year only design. The spear came from a 51, I think. It aint perfect but I think it is better than what you got. Think it should fit your car and it has clips and bolts. If you want it, send me a private message with your mailing address and I will mail it to you.
Ken

Postscript: GearRat52 did want it and I am sending it to him.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.77 KB)
1216_4fdb5709b677a.jpg 576X379 px

Posted on: 2012/6/15 10:43
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think these are original, but I do need to replace them or make them tighter. Are these replacement clips ? Did the JB weld finally solve your problem?

I believe most of the side trim had studs with nuts behind in accessible places in combination with spring type clips in others. Different type clips were used but those could be tightened down to prevent any sliding. If you can get easy access behind the trim in one or two spots to apply a nut, then you could exchange a spring or two for one of the regular formed molding clips if you find one that fits. If you download the Restoration Specialties catalog, their illustrations are actual size and would be easy to see if they have something that would work.

If not, then there is the old standby "break to size" #2356 universal clip.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.35 KB)
209_4fdb59fc3cd5f.jpg 309X265 px

jpg  (55.67 KB)
209_4fdb5a462bc01.jpg 613X836 px

Posted on: 2012/6/15 10:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I did find some clips in the junk box that came with the car,but I didn't think they were for the side trim. Now I can use them to secure the trim.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 11:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved