Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: From the Hallowed Halls
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Thanks Bobby for the explanation for Rollson to produce their versions of Darrin's designs. Slowness of delivery of Darrin Victorias was certainly the main motivation. Rollson also saw the opportunity the Darrin's popularity and scarcity generated.

Rollson was no doubt familiar with the Darrins less than solid build quality and somewhat slap-dash construction. I still recall my surprise the first time I saw the inside wheelhouses of a '40 Darrin Victoria. The metal stamping had been cut into pie slices, lapped over one another in succession to rotate the rear body down and around the axle-line, then hammer welded back together, pretty rough. They don't call 'em "cut-'n-paste' customs for nothing!

They may also have been tapped to repair some build solidity into Darrin's delivered to the NYC area in order to fix the shaky front fenders and hood and shore up the cowl so the doors wouldn't fly open at inopportune times, such as on hard lefthand turns when the curve might make the curvy blond bombshell passenger suddenly disappear!

The Custom Limousine looks better to me than the LeBaron version with it's too high-domed roofline. Unhappily, both suffer from the usual overcabbed look at the rear.

Steve

Posted on: 2012/6/26 7:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What's interesting is there appear to be some substantial door hinges or ??? in the actual cars which are not visible on the drawings.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 9:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
None of the drawings have both doors hinged at the B pillar like the photos of the actual cars show. Maybe that's why?

Posted on: 2012/6/26 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe so. Seeing or buying a sleek car from the drawing and receiving it with those rather large distractions though, think some might be a bit annoyed.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 9:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved