Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 181

37Blanche, Don B, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
A few more doubts:

Generator: Is the fan in the front supposed to be left natural (probably galvanized)?. What about the front and rear cast part that seems to be aluminum or some sort of cast non-rusting metal?

Generator Support: it seems from most pics I have been able to see that it should be engine color. Is that true for the bracket in the bottom and for the upper arm with oblong hole for adjustment?

Power steering pump: I guess the canister is black, as several parts are. Is the pump itself supposed to be painted? Somehow it seems treated someway that it will not rust but it is not painted.

Power steering pump base: Same question goes for the support, which seems to have some treatment again and in my case showed no signs of paint.

Thanks!
victor

Attach file:

jpg  (135.03 KB)
1141_4fb2f6aa2a16d.jpg 1280X954 px

jpg  (66.78 KB)
1141_4fb2f6dba65a6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (118.31 KB)
1141_4fb2f70b252bc.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/5/15 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't tell you with absolute certainty what's right, but I can tell you what I've observed regarding the Delco generators.

Both endframes on the generator are natural aluminum. Body shell of the generator is semigloss black. The fan and pulley are natural metal, perhaps cadmium plated. The generator base bracket is semigloss black. The generator adjustment slotted arm is engine color, and the slot goes to the engine side, not to the generator. This latter is fairly obvious as, when mounted with the fixed end on the engine block, the far end is often so close to the fender well that despite the dimple, if the engine is free enough on the mounts the bracket will make contact with the inner fender.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information

Posted on: 2012/5/15 21:00
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks! That covers most of my questions.... for now!

Interesting to know the correct way of placing the upper generator support. I had it backwards and was very surprised of the little clearance with the fender... no wonder!

Posted on: 2012/5/16 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting to know the correct way of placing the upper generator support. I had it backwards and was very surprised of the little clearance with the fender... no wonder!

There's at least one factory photo that shows it incorrectly, but that just again points out the risks in using photos from display engines or mockups to determine details.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 11:20
 Top  Print   

Progress report and a new doubt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi all:

Here is a progress report... and since a pic says more than 1000 words, I am attaching one.

Just today we did a little more progress. Distributor and carbs are installed, same as oil filter, lines, etc. I have a small doubt on a part that I do not remember where I got from (shame on me! I should have taken pics), so I will take a pic and post it a bit later.

Thanks,
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (94.97 KB)
1141_4fff72a563dfa.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/12 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Here is the pics I just taken of the progress done today. First, a couple of engine pics. The work is not finished, but please feel free to criticize anything you see that may be wrong. It will surely help at this moment.

The last pic is the part I am referring too on which I have a big doubt. I don't remember where I took it off from, but it is a brass valve that would seem to have a small filter and a check valve. I am guessing it goes on the side of the engine, near the oil dipstick tube, and that may connect to a vacuum tube. Am I correct?

Thanks!
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (103.25 KB)
1141_4fff7ea5c39f7.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (103.99 KB)
1141_4fff7ef2295cd.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (60.81 KB)
1141_4fff7f167cbcb.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking good. The only thing I wonder about is the color of the fan pulley. I think they are black.

That unknown item looks like it might be the check valve from crankcase vacuum pump so I think you are correct. Elbow into block and valve itself connects to the steel line to wiper balance valve. It is located on the passenger side of engine block about in the middle and just above the oil pan.

EDIT: Here is a decent photo of a 56 engine.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=2041&cid=58

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
You will find that the fan pulley is shown as engine color in factory sales literature, but that is incorrect. Unfortunately, many manufactuers are guilty of such "artistic license".

Take a look at Figure 3 in the "Radiator and Cooling" section of the shop manual; though it shows a '55 engine, you'll see that the fan pulley was painted black.

Meanwhile, the color of the engine paint shown in 56P400's latest pics seems way off, with far too much metallic. Hopefully that's just a matter of lighting conditions.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Looks like the lighting makes it too metallic looking. I think it's fine. If you recall some other postings here on this site have had green engines looking too blue, semi -gloss black looking too shiny and other pics of the same parts looking just fine when taken with different lighting.. It's all in the way the camera and the lighting effect the pictures.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 22:16
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved