Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

Tobs, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Electronic Ignition for 23rd series w/288 ci
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I have installed a Pertronics ignitor on my 56 Exec and would like to do the same on my '50 standard 8 w/288 ci engine. Does anyone know the Pertronics part # that I should use? Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 23:14
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Electronic Ignition for 23rd series w/288 ci
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I downloaded the catalog, and I see they have:
1946-54 autolite is part #1585A (add N6 to part number for 6v neg ground)
For Delco distributor Part Num 1183 (add P6 to part number for 6v pos ground)
I have an 1183 in my 53 327 with delco and 12Volt conversion. Are you 6V pos or neg ground, and do you have the delco or autolite distributor? (Delco would be my guess for a 288)
Hope this helps,
Mike

Posted on: 2012/8/30 1:48
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Word of Caution: Everyone I know who put pertronics electronic ignition into their six volt cars has gone back to points.They do not work very well in six volt cars.Points are plentiful and cheap for 22nd and 23rd series Packards and usually last 10 years.Given the amount of driving we do with collector cars, why go any other way.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Mike - I don't know what dist I have, Autolite or Delco (how to tell?). It is 6v pos ground, tho.

GTO - That's good to know about the electronic units in 6v cars. I don't use this car as a daily driver, but drive it as much as I can. Do you think that the fine, thin circuitry in these units might fail under the heavy amps required by 6v systems? It seems that these cars require thicker wiring.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 10:33
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
One thing to keep in mind with any distributor, especially if you are going to keep the original hardware (points/condensers) is the integrity of the bushings. They wear with age, and the old distributors were usually played by the time a car hit 70,000 miles. Grab the housing with one hand and the rotor with the other and check for side play. Too much of that and you have "infinitely variable dwell" and an unreliable car. There are service places that re-bush them, they advertise in Hemmings. You'll be amazed at how much faster the engine starts and how much better it idles.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
There should be an oval metal tag on the side of the distributor. It should say autolite or delco.
Assuming you can get your head down there and read it....
I think there are also pics in the shop manual you can look at.
The electronics in the pertronix like pretty much all computer stuff needs 5 volts for switching. If a 12v car drops a few during starting no big deal, but when a 6v car drops it can lead to harder starting (from what I read online) Some people have had trouble, others good results with 6v and pertronix. Guess if your charging/electric system is good it should be ok.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 11:13
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mr. PB makes a good case. It often amazes me how the care and lubrication of distributors is ignored, even more so if electronic units like Pertronics are installed. Removing, cleaning and inspecting a distributor's internals which may include rebushing is a enjoyable little task for those will even modest skills and no special tools with the possible exception of a ream for the bushings is generally required. There is a "how to" available for rebushing the IGT-series AutoLites and it's applicable to most any distributor, and other "how to's" for general distributor maintenance.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
There is no issue with my distributer at this point in time. I should, however, take a few steps to insure that it stays that way. As always taking your sound advice! I should also remember what my father told me, if it's running good, don't 'f' with it

Posted on: 2012/8/30 13:17
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The Pertonix I had in my 51 with 288 is now sealed in a plastic bag on the shelf. I will be happy to sell it to you at a great discount.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I have the same for a 356 that I no longer use. I found that if the battery voltage drops only slightly, the trigger voltage for the electronic ignition wouldn't fire. In other words the trigger voltage is almost the same as 6 volts.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 21:06
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved