Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'47 Oil Pan removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
It's about time for an oil change and I wanted to replace the pan gasket as it's seeping pretty good all the way around.

Can anyone tell me if there is clearance to remove the oil pan without jacking the engine up or dropping the suspension. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I'm neck deep.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 3:03
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Re: '47 Oil Pan removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those cars can be prone to saggy front engine mounts but usually there is still clearance enough. You will need to remove the lower bellhousing for clearance, and as you extract the pan towards the rear you may have to turn the engine a bit to get the front crank counterweights up out of the way.

You may be stunned what all you find inside. Be sure to pry the cover off of the pickup screen and have a look. Also the two compression fittings on the pickup tube will almost certainly want snugging.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 6:18
 Top  Print   

Re: '47 Oil Pan removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from Ross.

In addition, you will need to drop the steering linkage to get enough room to get the pan off. No worries on this, just unfasten the idler arm where it attaches to to the frame on the RH side. After this, just pull the linkage down out of the way.

Also, you may need to turn the engine a few degrees so the front crankshaft throws are turned up for more clearance. Easy to do with a large screwdriver working on the flywheel teeth.

Clean that oil pump pick-up screen too.

I find that adhering the new gasket to the pan with no adhesive on the engine side works well. Then, next time the pan and gasket will come down with little or none of the gasket sticking to the engine. Maybe you will luck out and the person who did this job before you did it this way.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved