Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

MVS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Twin Ultramatic Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Another note for Ross:

I agree fully about the turbine shaft and bushings.

The last time I serviced one it seemed to me that if the shaft was turned in a lathe to accepts soft seals - as used in the Turbo Hydramatic etal - then the whole issue of pressure loss would be reduced significantly.

Have you ever talked about this?

Posted on: 2012/9/9 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Rocky,

that leak at bell housing, packard has the oil hole drilled past the bell housing bushing, towards torque converter, don;t know why, because oil goes right to seal lip. maybe thats why to oil lip. but thats alot of pressure, i noticed that on my bell housing, was thinking of plugging it, i am going with needle bearing, i was going to ask Ross about it, the oil hole should be reduced at least, it looks bigger than 1/8th inch.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 22:03
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Tim,

Is there a picture of trans shaft,,,hey i will do it with mine.........just need to see where seals go, thanks rik

Posted on: 2012/9/9 22:05
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Riki wrote:
Rocky,

that leak at bell housing, packard has the oil hole drilled past the bell housing bushing, towards torque converter, don;t know why, because oil goes right to seal lip. maybe thats why to oil lip. but thats alot of pressure, i noticed that on my bell housing, was thinking of plugging it, i am going with needle bearing, i was going to ask Ross about it, the oil hole should be reduced at least, it looks bigger than 1/8th inch.

Am wondering which hole you are speaking of and what bushing you are replacing with a needle bearing.

The drain hole is the only one I can think of which fits that description. The basic front bushing and shaft design has been essentially unchanged since the first. Early on Packard actually enlarged the drain hole from the original 3/16" to 1/4" to prevent leaks past the seal. A bushing which is doing the job shouldn't be allowing that much pressurized fluid past it for the seal to contain but what is there needs to go somewhere quickly so it doesn't build up. I don't think those seals can hold that much pressure.

Believe the front bushing also forms part of the oil circuit into torque converter so wonder how a needle bearing would work there if that's the one you are changing.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 22:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi, Howard,

Shortly I will be blogging my ultra project, but, I am refering to bell housing bushing. there is a hole right where the seal bottoms out, just in from that. thats a drain hole?, its like 3/16s,,seems to me the spare bell housing i have the bushing extends into that area,,have to look again..,,so if that is blocked, then oil from bushing/shaft, would work out of the seal, cause i know mine leaked .

The needle bearing is R/D,, reducing friction,,,been held up with machine shop...oil pressure?, remains to been seen, the only bushing I cannot replace with needle bearing, is the ft pump, that goes into high range clutch, that will be made alum. bronze, I will be making that, next ultra project, will be to use all alum bronze for bushings..with that chrome hardened the shafts, if the chrome won't mess with valve bodies..

rik

Posted on: 2012/9/10 0:50
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Rik, suggest you spend some time with your trans and with the hydraulic diagrams and figure out how different pressures get where they need to go. Many times the bushings are necessary to get oil under pressure where it needs to go.

For example, the torque convertor is filled (and pressurized) through the groove in the center of the bell housing bushing. If you replace that with a needle bearing, you will need a whole new path to fill the convertor.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 5:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Riki:

If you want to try that, the best method would be to get the two parts and take them to someone.

There may not be anything that fits. I wouldn't take a working transmission apart for the sake of testing my idea.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks. Ross..i will..do that...but a company did this in the 60s ..if steve williams were still with us he could explain..what was done..

Thanks ross.....

Posted on: 2012/9/10 10:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi..Tim..

My trans is all apart..going to look into it... What car uses that hydro?....i forgot...what type trans.. While writing this i forgot...

Too much on the brain........

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:15
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:

Further, I find that as the transmissions wear and age, the throttle pressures need to be set higher, that is the little sliding link described in the literature needs to be set slightly further rearward than what is described. You might want to mark your existing location with a bit of tape before you start making adjustments.

I have now adjusted the sliding link some mm, without any "result", and wonder what kind of length I have to adjust it.
Does anybody know?

Tom

Posted on: 2013/5/28 9:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved