Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Running hot
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
FWIW....

When I got my car three years ago, I had it professionally flushed and installed name brand anti-freeze.

Recently have been having air added, and since the radiator was coming off, had it flushed again. I'll bet most people here would have thought that silly, but a record amount of crap came out...

Car ran cool, but was unhappy with extended delays in traffic on hot days, the worst being a fourth of July parade in 100 degree weather. It ran rough at the finish and took a while to cool down.

Normally needle doesn't come up a lot, but it went to 3/4 on that day.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 1:50
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Pat:

Very common problem as cars age. Including modern cars.

The radiator is rather small to start with, but with A/C there is an additional load. Also, if the idle speed is near the 400 rpm spec there may not be enough flow from the fan.

Solutions are easy to test. Just let it sit in the driveway on a hot day. I have always felt that 400 rpm idle is too slow and inhibits oil splash, so I would raise it to 550 rpm and see how it does. After that some shrouding around the A/C condensor the same way as modern cars. Maybe try the shrouding first.

Beyond that, old cast iron is less efficient and radiators cores do wear out. Also, less that top compression runs hotter so if your gas mileage is not so hot check that as well.

Overall, as long as it is not boiling you are doing pretty good. I did a 56 Carribean that idled hot even with a new core. It had a junkyard block and so was rather weary.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
The hoses do not kink when it heats up. A handful of possibilities have been suggested. I need to start taking one thing at a time.

First thing I'd like to point out, which I think is important is this:

When I was going down the freeway in 100-degree weather, it got pretty hot after about 15 - 20 minutes (as in needle was way way up there). A few minutes later, it cooled down quite quickly, as if the T-stat opened right at that moment. It was pretty obvious how quickly it cooled down. Then, after 10 more minutes, it was back up to very hot again. At this point, I was close to home, and that is when the fuel pump pin came out and I died. When I popped the hood, I noticed coolant had bubbled out.

So, first item up for order:

Will T-stats fail to open and close properly (at the right temps), or are their malfunctions limited to either working right or not at all?

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
My 1955 Four Hundred seems to have just the opposite problem. I've run it quite a few times and the hottest that the temperature gauge showed was about 1/8th inch above C. At first, when I was just test-driving it around the neighbourhood for short periods of time, I thought either the gauge or sending unit was faulty. However, I then took it on an extended drive across town on a warm day and viola! the temperature gauge moved about 1/8 inch from C, but still nowhere near to hot. Still, the engine was pretty warm and the radiator was pretty hot to the touch.

Go figure.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 10:50
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Jeff, I like the idea of you investing in one of those small, cheap laser pointer temp gauges and see what the actual coolant temp is. It's really hard to tell if this an actual overheating issue or a gauge malfunction. When a car overheats, you know it: Leaking coolant, steam, the whole Cecil B. Demille production you see at the side of the road with OTHER people.

T-Stats are cheap and easy, go get a new one. They're made of a special metal that expands when hot, which opens the valve, allowing the coolant to flow. Typically, they either work or they don't, they don't go back and forth btw'n open and closed when hot. That sounds more like an electrical issue with either the sending unit or the gauge itself...or maybe lots of crud moving around in the radiator and plugging it up. It's a new radiator with new, properly blended 50/50 coolant, right?

Posted on: 2012/9/14 11:00
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I would check out RMI-25, i use it, and have great results. google it..they have a video i think...

Posted on: 2012/9/14 12:53
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hello,

Hmm, +1 for Bobby.

I think also a checkup with a thermometer will give you a right answer.
I once had it with my Dodge Ram Van, the gauge went to max temp, al lot of warning lights went on; just like a X-mas tree.
I pulled over and take a look under the hood, all seems be fine: result: the engine ran fine at nominal temperature, it was the gauge electronics that went bananas... !

If your radiator is not clogged, the thermostat works ( your radiator is equal hot the whole surface ) and your waterpump runs fine, your cooling system should work fine.

An external thermometer will give you the solution.

When I make a trip with my 56 Clipper, the gauge shows from cold to nearly halfway to Hot. When I stop and I open the hood, the heat is coming out the block, but that seems to be alright; no hissing or steam but ready to boil some eggs on the block...

Grtz.

Xavier

Posted on: 2012/9/14 17:08
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Quote:

Bobby wrote:
Jeff, I like the idea of you investing in one of those small, cheap laser pointer temp gauges and see what the actual coolant temp is. It's really hard to tell if this an actual overheating issue or a gauge malfunction. When a car overheats, you know it: Leaking coolant, steam, the whole Cecil B. Demille production you see at the side of the road with OTHER people.

When I broke down 2 weeks ago, there was not steam and all, but coolant did overflow.

You think this is something that can occur without overheating? If so, point me to the small, cheap laser pointer thing. I am not sure what exactly this is. A link to a product would be great.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are a couple but are at the cheap end. I have the laser light one and it does the job. Riki probably speaks of a better quality item.http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=infrared%20thermometer

Posted on: 2012/9/14 18:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Howard's right, as usual...get the $19.95 one from Harbor Freight.

Coolant overflow? Do you have a new, proper lb. pressure radiator cap? What happens is that when the coolant expands naturally as it gets hot, the radiator cap spring will react to the amount of pressure the hot coolant is giving off, and when it passes a certain, predetermined temp, it will allow it to escape. This is to protect the cooling system/heater core from excessive pressure. If you don't have the right cap (or it's old and malfunctioning)..this is simple, I know..it won't operate properly. If you're not sure, go NAPA and get a new cap. Coolant (COLD) should cover the honeycomb part when you look down from the open cap. If you add more (Like to the very top) it will flow out, not so much b/c it's actually overheating, but, recall from high school, that things expand when heated, so hot coolant overfilled will spill out.

Is this a new radiator and coolant, Jeff?

Posted on: 2012/9/14 18:38
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved