Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

Wat_Tyler, Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1948 brake light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I may have to run a new wire from switch to rear.

I agree with HH56, very very unlikely that the problem is in the body wire under the headliner. It's worth noting that the 22nd and 23rd series were quite prone to bad grounds on the light housings. Just to make the troubleshooting a bit more reliable I'd run a temporary ground jumper from the light socket shell to a good clean ground before going further.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Maybe I can get you pointed in the right direction.
First I'm assuming that it's wired according to the the factory schematic. So download a copy of the schematic and I will try to walk you though, you also need a volt meter.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/48-9%20%2022nd%20Series.pdf
Next since you said you have power at the brake switch your Courtesy and Glove Box lights should be working also, and it would help to have a second person to press the brakes for you.
Now go to the bottom of the first page and find the STOP LIGHT SWITCH, two wires connected to switch 13-R (Red wire should be power) and 14-G (Green). Follow wire 14-G at the bottom of the next page from left to right. 14-G goes to a connector, up under the dash, which is what HH56 was talking about earlier. Just make sure the wires are all connected, this should be 14A-G going overhead to the trunk.
In the trunk you should find the green wire (14A-G) with two more wires connected to it(14B-G & 14C-G). You can see this on the third page of the wire schematic. At this point it would be good to run a wire from the + post of the battery and check the for voltage on the green wire at that connector. When the brake is pressed you should read voltage (Over six volts, depending on how much your battery is charged.) If you read voltage there, than touch the wire from the battery to the light housing and the brakelight should come ON (while pressing on the brake). (This is what OD was talking about when he said find a good ground.) If the brakelight comes on than it is a ground problem and you will need to find a way to run a wire from the brakelight housing to the frame of the car.
If no voltage than you will need to get under the dash and check the wiring and see if you get any voltage readings while pressing the pedal.
I hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/12/1 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks Wes - I know about the wiring schematic . Here is what I discovered so far. I installed a new brake light switch. I am getting power thru the switch. I hocked a NEW wire to the out post on the switch and ran it to the trunk area and plugged it in to green stop light connector. Had a friend apply the brake pedal. Success ! Both brake lights came on. So - I must have a break or bad connection in the old overhead wire. I may just have to go with the new wire - I appreciate your comments - This is just the beginning of my light problems

Posted on: 2012/12/1 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
John, some where up if the front of the car (probably under the dash) where the wires connect 14-G to 14A-G (see the second page), you should be able to hook up your wire that you had hooked up to the brake switch and check the brakelights. After that wire is hooked up press on the brakes if you get brakelights bad news than the wire in the roof is bad, if lights still don't work than the wire between the brake switch and that connector is bad.
Here's hoping it's not the wire in the roof.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/12/1 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks Wes - I will try that -

Posted on: 2012/12/1 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Anyone know where that Front to Rear Harness Connector ( 14-G to 14 A-G ) is located on a 48 ?

Posted on: 2012/12/1 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
they connect above the key switch, wires come down the a pillar from the rear.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 20:15

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved