Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 237

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

327 engine compatability
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Davis
See User information
My snail's pace restoration of a 1954 Clipper hit a roadblock, or shall I say engine block issue. When finally removing a stuck valve I cleaned the surface and discovered a small crack beside the valve seat and going down into the nearby cylinder about ? inch. It appears to have been "repaired" at one time too. The repair is not trustworthy so now I'm in the market for a replacement 327 cu. in. engine.

Are 327 engines from earlier years compatible with the 1954 Clipper? Mine has the basic 2-speed automatic, not the "gear-start." Would a 327 from a manual transmission car work? Everything else about my present engine is fine including cam and crank. I have new pistons and rings already on the connecting rods. The head has been cleaned and checked. Most valves are fine.

Would anyone on this forum have an engine block available for sale? I am in Virginia.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted on: 2013/1/23 14:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 327 engine compatability
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Blocks from 51-54 are compatible. Also you could get a 288 Block and put in your 327 internals. (Crank etc) i'm sure you'll find something here.
I now have a 51 288 Block Built up as a 327 in my 53 Clipper.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/1/23 15:49
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I bought a 1952 327 five main bearing engine to put in my 51 200 only to find it had a cracked block so I did what Tob suggested, and put the crank, rods, cam, and flywheel damper in the 288, making it into a 327. I used the solid lifters from the 288, but the hydraulic lifters would have worked just fine. The 327 had an automatic so I had to find a shaft bearing for a manual. These little buggers are pricey and a bit hard to find. Don't plan on going to Napa for it; the regular Packard vendors are about the only source I found.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I did put a 54 327 (9 main) in my 23rd series in place of the 288. There were minor differences, BUT a pre 51 won't have the side mounts bosses and holes you need. You can put a later motor in an earlier if you switch the balancer and timing cover, etc, but you can't put an earlier in a later.

Differences in case someone finds this thread later:

I developed a rod knock shortly after, that's neither here nor there, but there was some other differences:

The temp sending hole is bigger on one than the other. I think the 51 used a smaller threaded hole. You could get a reading somewhere else, or make a brass L setup like i did, or a bushing if you're using the small sender in big hole. That's a head not a block difference. Honestly, if the motor is out, you could just drill it and tap it if you need bigger (earlier motors are bigger, and sending units aren't compatible, different reading ranges sent to the gauge).

Also, throttle linkage has 2 holes in side of head on earlier motors, and the manifold has 2 holes on top to accept another bracket. You can drill and tap both, there are posts here how i made a little bracket for the manifold. again, only an issue if you're putting later motor in earlier car.

Some linkage mods though, and you can run a 4bbl on the older series cars (4bbl linkage is on inside of carb instead of outside).

I've toyed with the idea of just selling the knocking 327 for enough to get a clean 288 or 327 that's 5 main and less valuable, but then i'd be worried that i'd put a used motor in and have trouble (like this time) so i'll likely get around to yanking it and getting it rebuilt.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 20:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
last month i brought 2 good blocks up for scrap. still have a complete running 327 here though..

Attach file:

jpg  (220.72 KB)
4873_510b1f06d4b57.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/1/31 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I?ll be happy to sell you a block or two or three. Am located just north of Baltimore. As noted, any 51-54 five main block will do. I'm in Kenya til the end of February, but will be happy to help you after that.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 22:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Davis
See User information
Thank you to everyone who replied to my inquiry about compatibility of 327 engines between model years. It was helpful information. Thank you too to the gentlemen in Maryland offering an engine. As it turns out last week I brought home a 1953 Clipper with a good, low mileage 327 that may not even need a rebuild.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted on: 2013/2/4 12:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved