Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 132

mjschenden, Ozstatman, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake & Clutch Pedals and Parking Brake on a '32
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GOOD photos! And it looks like your Bijur lubricator is happily still doing it's job.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
No extra charge for the oil and "original" road grime. You should see the garage floor.

I had some trouble with the Bijur unit a few years ago. The rubber diaphragm developed a leak.

I ended up grinding the rolled edge of the unit to take it apart and replaced the diaphragm with one I cut out of a air brake diaphragm from a mack Truck.

I drilled one side of the rim of the Bijur vacuum unit and tapped the other for a dozen small #4-40 hex screws. There are hardly noticed and if the diaphragm needs to be replaced again it will be much easier.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the great photos. Based on what I see the clutch and brake pedals have the same i.d. and mount on the shaft, which I would think is 1.00" o.d.

Looking at your photos and my hardware, I've come to the conclusion we have very different setups. But (I use "but" like this to piss off one on my former English teachers who was a sticker, but a real nice caring person as she was always reminding me to use short sentences whenever possible because it would yield her having to use her infamous pencil that always lead to me having a lower grade, which I tried to avoid with a passion) I think that I'm now on the way to figuring it out.

The clutch mounts on the device (see photo 3.jpg) and it would appear that the rest of the installation should be very similar to Dave's '32. I'll need to go through all of the boxes looking for the spacers, spring washer and the Bijur lubricator fitting.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.81 KB)
1063_510e998b415a8.jpg 1280X889 px

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Marston,

Glad the photo's were of some help.

From your pictures it looks like you need to add the plate for holding the brake and clutch springs, the stop light switch, the Bijur line to the brake / clutch shaft, and the spacer washers and wave washer.

The two holes in the frame, behind the drivers side motor mount are where the plate for the two springs goes.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

I apologize for incorrectly identifying the submitter of the "Great Photos". Thanks for the additional input.

So far I've found the springs, spring attachment plate, some spacer washers, cable for attaching the clutch, hardware for connecting brake pedal, and the brake & clutch pedals. These have been cleaned and the paint is drying as of this afternoon.

I need to dig into a storage area where I have some more parts in boxes. Hopefully, I can find the missing parts there. It appears that I can buy thrust washers in various thicknesses along with a wave-spring washers. I hope that I find the switch and Bijur fitting and stop light switch.

Again thanks to for you inputs. I'll keep you posted with progress.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Marston,

No apologies necessary. If you need any additional pictures or measurements just post or PM.

Hopefully your parts bins have the switch & fittings.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2013/2/5 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I found all the parts that were needed to connect the parking brake and finished installing it this past weekend. Completed most of the work on the clutch and brake pedal installation.

I do seem to have one major problem in that I cannot find the fitting that hold the brake and clutch pedals on. I have the brake switch and need to check it out as it appears to be in need of some TLC.

Does anyone out there have an extra fitting or know where one may be purchased.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2013/3/26 8:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved