Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Merle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: New Website Server
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, I found what Gushca was trying to point out - some of the posts are truncated, often in mid-sentence or word.

Is the missing info actually lost or merely hidden? If you know the special character(s) that caused the problem, it might not be too hard to find all the affected posts, but I can't imagine how much work it would be to paste any lost text and or/images.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok, the correct data was in the file I exported from the old server. But the special characters were causing the data to truncate on the import. The old ISP's DB backup process should have tagged those characters with a forward slash to mark them as special when it did the export, but it didnt.

So I just wrote a small script to go through all the data and replace the special characters with the correct "\" slashes in front on them so the import process would not balk at it.

The I changed all the SQL INSERTs to UPDATEs in the SQL data script and reimported. So I updated almost 11,000 entires with the correct text from the old server. So that should fix everything.

I just looked at the ZIS thread where it was pretty bad, and this fixes them those.

Knocking down those gremlins one by one! Thanks for your patience.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Guscha I am glad you are finding them. I cant fix them, if no one tells me about them!

The image problem is now fixed. For some reason the FTP client didnt properly set the permissions on some of the images to make them web readable. I guess when you are uploading 17,000 files it overwhelms the FTP software. So that was a quick fix, but reset the permissions on all the forum images to be web readable (viewable), and voila! fixed.

I knew the server move was going to have these oddities that would need to be addressed, no move is ever seamless. Keep up coming!

Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:11
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Kev, not sure if the dealer directory was effected, but take a look at C.W. Upchurch and Co. It looks like the post is cut off. I noticed this on a few other dealer descriptions.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Just wanted to say that I'm not having any trouble. In fact, I had thought on the old server, my slow downloads were due to my dialup. But, with the new server I get the pictures much faster. THANKS!!! for the great site and all of the hard work you put in.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 18:24
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

I checked the Dealer Listings, and looked at both the database tables from the old server and the new, and they match. The "very old" Dealers modules had a limit on the amount of the characters that the database would save in one field. So even though you could have type pages and pages of text into the form, the database table would only store the first 255 characters. This was one reason why I rewrote the Dealer module 2 months ago. When the new Dealer Module went up, I imported that old data into it, so those trucated entries came with it. So this problem was actually there from the start. But any new info added the to dealers will allow you to insert "War and Peace" into the descriptions and wont exibit the same problems. So this issue was not caused by the move to the new server.

Guscha,

I fixed that one image, it appears that the image was corrupt. I just reuploaded it and it start working again.

Thanks....keep'em coming.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

49packard wrote:
Just wanted to say that I'm not having any trouble. In fact, I had thought on the old server, my slow downloads were due to my dialup. But, with the new server I get the pictures much faster. THANKS!!! for the great site and all of the hard work you put in.

You are more than welcome!

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Jim,

I checked the Dealer Listings, and looked at both the database tables from the old server and the new, and they match. The "very old" Dealers modules had a limit on the amount of the characters that the database would save in one field. So even though you could have type pages and pages of text into the form, the database table would only store the first 255 characters. This was one reason why I rewrote the Dealer module 2 months ago. When the new Dealer Module went up, I imported that old data into it, so those trucated entries came with it. So this problem was actually there from the start. But any new info added the to dealers will allow you to insert "War and Peace" into the descriptions and wont exibit the same problems. So this issue was not caused by the move to the new server.

I wondered if the dealer descriptions were that way before or not. Thanks for checking. Just a thought for the future; will there ever be an opportunity to post images of dealer specific items such as the Earle C. Anthony brass service your car at ####### miles, or dealer license plate frames and so on? This would be a neat edition to the dealer directory.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

You can click on any dealer, and then click the Add Historical Entry. In there you can more pictures and what other additional text or notes you wish.

I made it just for that purpose!

Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:10
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Fantastic! I have seen a few things that would be great editions.

Thanks again,
Jim

Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved