Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Darrin180, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Torsion level pamphlet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pamphlet Matt contributed and Kev just put on site reminds me of the short movie that was made during development/release of torsion level. I don't know those particular circumstances or who currently owns the movie but undoubtedly others on site do. Sure wish the owner would make copies available for sale.

At any rate, several of us long time aficionados have undoubtedly seen it but you younger folks should make every attempt to do so. It was shown at the PAC national in Oakland many years ago when I saw it and the auditorium was almost in hysterics by the end..

It loses a lot in the translation but briefly, it started out with the cycle car which was William Allisons development vehicle. There's a brief history of design attempts and ends with fine cars A, B & C in a test. Cars were covered but one car was obviously a Cad by the fins, the other am not sure of and of course the Packard. Its been a lot of years and some of details are fuzzy but basically there is a railroad crossing in Detroit area that has apparently been the ruin of many a car unless they barely crawl over it. All of the cars in the test crossed at a very good speed and that's where the fun began. Something flew off one car, as it bounced several times and the driver was hanging on for dear life. Another went airborne came down hard bouncing and sparks flying but the Packard with TL went over, wheels bouncing madly but with barely a blip on the car itself. Now that is testing and I often wonder how today's cars with airbags etc would do.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 19:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion level pamphlet
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I have not seen the movie clip you mention There are some Packard proving ground shots on utube of 56 Packards the only car that they compare the car going over bumps is with a 54 Packard. There is a 58 Chrysler comparison that shows Chrysler cars compared to Ford and Gm talking about the torsion air ridehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBoEoFmRsYo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pos9Seqqfm4&feature=related

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
That video sounds like a very interesting video. I have seen a video where the P.M.C.C produced a video which show and describes the ideas behind the torsion level ride and how it works. From what I remember it goes for 20 minutes I would love to post it as its on a DVD but I am not sure due to copyright if we are able to do this, if anyone knows if this is possible let me know snd I can upload the videos for everyones enjoyment

Regards,
Mathew

Posted on: 2008/8/23 5:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
There is one film made in 1956 by Packard called The Safe Road Ahead. That shows all about Torsion Level Suspension.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:49
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have Safe Road Ahead and it's not the same film. The one I spoke of is short-maybe 5-10 minutes and may have been done by Mr.Allison for all I know. It was black & white, and as described. Shown at the Oakland meet in late 80's and at least one other I heard. It just jogged a memory reading about TL development over the years in the article Matt contributed then to remember the film and the top cars of the day. Was just so funny to see the fine cars losing parts and who knows what else hitting that bump while the Packard didn't strain a bit.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Thats right, the safe road ahead, thats what it was called. That sounds like quite an good clip to see, but where is it today...?

It also makes you wonder how many other movies like this are out there as I am sure like me, many people would enjoy & love to see these, but then we should be thankful for what we have and can enjoy watching that.

Is it possible that these movies could be held in the Packard archived maybe at the Packard museum?

Posted on: 2008/8/24 1:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The Safe Road Ahead was a factory-issued promotional film for 1956 that spends most of its time explaining and demonstrating the T-L suspension - a very good production. It has been circulating on VHS for at least 20 years, but I've found the transfer/copy quality to be substandard. You'll see that title also offered, from time to time, on DVD on eBay, but I never tried one of those - suspecting low quality transfer from VHS, rather than the original film.

Yet, on a tour of the Studebaker Archives, many years ago (long before they built and moved to a new facility), they showed us a small "vault" that included many tins of movie film, and one title, The Safe Road Ahead, caught my eye. I later saw the Studebaker Museum's VHS transfer of The Watchdogs (1954), which shot at the Packard Proving Grounds, and the transfer was excellent. I had hoped they would make a similar quality transfer of The Safe Road Ahead, but I doubt if it will ever happen.

Meanhwile, there is other footage of T-L road tests, and you'll find some (and likely what HH56 is looking for) on a DVD put out by Motor City Packards. When I first popped it in, I was a little disappointed with the interview with Bill Allison at his home (perhaps from way back in the 1980s), as he often rambled (but, then again, so do I). Things picked up, however, when they injected the road test footage (some vs. the "competetion"). Then, they went into the garage where Bill still had his Patrician, PLUS the T-L equipped cyclecar, and fired up the Pat and took her out for a drive, too. A very nice piece.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brian, thanks for that information on Motor City Packards. The DVD description sounds like it's exactly what I was looking for so just printed out the form to order it.

EDIT: I spoke too soon-- printed out the form but for some reason Motor City Packards must be ashamed of their mailing address as nowhere does place to send form to appear. Couldn't find it on any other pages I looked at either. Hopefully someone will respond to my email to webmaster.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 10:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Isnt John (Mr. PB) part of Motor City PAC. Perhaps he can offer an assist with getting that DVD ordered.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 18:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The DVD I ordered from Motor City Packards arrived today. It doesn't have the particular film I was thinking of, but what it does have is every bit as nice. I think anyone interested in the development of TL would be satisfied. Thanks again to Brian for pointing it out.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 21:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved