Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Test Fitting My Edmunds Intake
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I got a killer deal on an Edmunds intake from a guy on the H.A.M.B. and it came in yesterday. Had to drive over to the shop and just check to make sure it fits. Now that I have it I'll send the engine off to the machinist to play with. What the heck carbs fit on there? (cart before the horse, I know)
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/3/6 16:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Test Fitting My Edmunds Intake
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What does the bottom of it look like? Does it even mate with the factory exhaust manifold? Or do you have to roll a custom header or something?

Posted on: 2013/3/6 16:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I didn't have the time today to take the factory bits apart but my guess is the factory exhaust would work with this intake. The engine will be getting a one-off exhaust manifold though.

Also, I'll be happy to take photos of the bottom for you. It's not terribly remarkable, however it does have geometry I wasn't expecting.

The internal routing is pretty fascinating too, and I'll have to circle back with better pictures to describe it.

In fact, I'm wondering if there's sufficient interest for me to spend time to document this intake. I know that when I bought it the documentation online was sketchy at best. I kind of just blew money hoping it would be better than stock.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hi Im planning a similar dual adventure on my 52 327 thunderbolt , the carbs are the 2 barrel carters .
have you figured out the plumbing?
where does the vacumb line from the advance on the distributer hook up?
how about the heat stove line from what would been the stock manifold to the choke on the carb ,
where will you get the hot water for the manifold warming circuit and where does it dump back ?
whats that port on the fore side of the front carb platform for?

Did you get any installation sheet from the sands of time with your intake ?

obrian truckers has reproduced the edmunds oil bath aircleaners adapted to a paper type element that will look correct
there is a thread about some dodge small truck v8 cast iron exhaust headers that looked promising but didnt seem to mate up right

Posted on: 2013/3/7 10:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
I figured the factory carbs worked, but beyond that I'm not sure. They look like they're sized about right for Weber IDA/IDF, and I know some Strombergs fit. As far as routing I'm not totally sure yet. I know the water heater line runs straight down the side. You're looking at the outlet and the inlet looks the side on the other side. I'm assuming the vacuum advance can be tapped into the port you see below the rear carb mount, but I'm not sure. The rest I'll have to figure out.

For my purposes this is all I really need.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 13:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
So I fitted the carb and exhaust this evening, just for a giggle. The exhaust DOES work with this intake manifold, however a plate would have to be fabricated and gasketed to seal the top of the exhaust manifold, as there's no provision to mate the intake to the exhaust. There is plenty of clearance to do this, 3/4" at least.

It's a four-bolt pattern to mount the carbs, and the vacuum advance taps into the base of the carb which carries over. With a little plumbing you could pull vacuum from both sides, or pull from one and cap the other. It's a common air-space so either way should work.

The heat stove for the carb would still work from the original exhaust manifold but it would have to be split in two with a bit of plumbing.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I had a stock exhaust adapted for a straight six flattie studebaker engine that i put a dual carb intake on ,by having a slick welder guy weld a plate in place where the original heat riser connected to the bottom of the intake ,workers fine .did you say you were going to have someone make you a custom dual exhaust header? Think he wants to make 2.? Did you look at the thread about the dodge truck engine headers that almost fit just right ?

Posted on: 2013/3/10 18:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved