Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 73 »

Re: Mike's 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Hi Mike: I get the bushings from the local auto parts store, they run about $50 for a set. NAPA # 274-8889 Want some?

The spring liner is about 1.5--2.0 mm thick. It should be available near you from someone who does springs.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks for the offer Ross, but I am going to try and get everything for the rear springs from eaton springs. I'll help the detroit economy a little bit there. I am now undecided if I rebuild the springs myself or send them via mail to one of the few remaining spring shops in Germany. When I put the springs on a level surface next to eachother, one spring has about 1/2 inch higher arch...The shop could even this out, but will cost me about 200? total. They also don't have the SAE size bushings which leads me to get the delrin liner, bushings, clips and ubolts from eaton.

Sunday was a great day for working on the frame! Did the last bit with the angle grinder, and then used up about 80lbs of slag blasting the frame. Then cleaned off all the sand, washed with marine clean and then treated with Fertan, a rust converter. The converter will stay there for a week or two, then comes paint! Also hooked up a shop vac to my blast booth, and that works well, and used under body coating on the seems of the blast booth to get it better sealed. Long day yesterday!

Attach file:

jpg  (103.68 KB)
657_51474992d8347.jpg 956X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/3/18 12:08
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Just ordered eveything from Mike at Eaton springs. 4 U bolts, 12 bushings, 6 new clips and isolators for the clips and also 22 feet of the delrin spring liner. He also said that the 1/2 inch arch difference of the 2 springs is nothing to worry about. If the car rode and sat OK before then he wouldn't worry about it!
Guess I will clean, reline and paint my own springs when the goodies get here.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Good Friday was a good Packard day. Washed off the remnants of the rust converter from the frame, blew dry with compressed air and then dried some more with a heat gun, and painted (with a brush) using branto-korrux 'nitrofest' a quality german moisture proof primer. Painting a frame takes a LONG time, lots of corners and crevices....Next time I get to the garage, will flip the frame over and put a second coat on the whole thing...Happy Easter all!

Posted on: 2013/3/30 4:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Wow, some tangible progress! Frame looks pretty good all in satin black. Flipped it over on the horses and painted the second coat from the 'road's point of view' The leaf spring parts from Eaton came with fed ex. Took apart both leaf springs, had my friend Oli help with sandblasting them clean, then cut new delrin liner assembled with a new center bolt, and put on the three clips around the unit. Hope to get the second spring done in a few days, then primer and paint the springs, then they may be the first parts to bolt onto the frame. Wow, things going back together is in sight!
I understand the clips around the spring packet are supposed to be a little bit loose, but I'm not sure exactly how loose. Anybody have experience with putting them on? I also cut the edge/side of the delrin where the spring clip is so it could easily slip over the spring, but perhaps I should cut an extra 1/2 inch off the side so the clips have more freedom of movement (fore and aft)?
Springtime!

Attach file:

jpg  (138.25 KB)
657_516bb995ade2b.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (141.33 KB)
657_516bb9aa0eec6.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/4/15 3:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Nice work! A tip of the hat to you.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.25 KB)
23_516c5f1390f24.jpg 86X148 px

Posted on: 2013/4/15 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Leaf springs are rebuilt, cleaned, rust treated, primered, and painted! Also put a coat of gloss black on the front half of the frame. What will be visible in the depths of the engine compartment....Original or not shiny looks so much cooler!
When I install the bushings in the rear leaf spring eyes, do they get some sort of lubricant, or do they go in dry?
Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
You can use silicone as a lubricant to help with installing the bushings. Not the spray, but the grease, which you should be able to get at any diving store. Or you can use ivory soap. You don't want to use any lubricant with hydrocarbons, as it will degrade the rubber.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 12:59
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I did use some hand soap to get the bushings in a little easier. Nivea brand, I don't know if we have Ivory here
At least packards are still packards!
Got to do a little work the other evening after my 'day job' Pedals and the pedal assembly blasted, cleaned, por15 and installed. Glad there was no body on top of the frame, it was tricky enough.
1/3 of the front suspension is in. Waiting for bushings before I install the lower control arms. The steering box is apart and cleaned, and will be painted soon. Then that can go back in.
Here is a question. There is a small spring that attaches to the brake pedal inside the frame rails. I connected the end of this spring to the place that I circled in red in the picture below. Can somebody confirm if this is correct, or if I have this in the wrong place? Thanks! (If wrong, I think it will be the 4th time installing that whole shebang)

I also broke the question mark shaped bolt that attaches the clutch pedal spring to the frame...Have to see if I can get one of those, or make my own.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.94 KB)
657_518c019783acf.jpg 640X478 px

jpg  (33.35 KB)
657_518c01bc17d8d.jpg 640X478 px

jpg  (34.50 KB)
657_518c01d8a01f7.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2013/5/9 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The spring is the clutch over center spring. It acts to lessen the pressure needed on the pedal to disengage the clutch. The "J" shaped bracket goes on the clutch pedal.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/9 21:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved