Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 70

Edgar, Packwagon, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 water pump repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Planned to take 400 to local AACA meeting. Ran to warm up, check fluids, tires etc. Oops small puddle on floor, coolant! "Drats".
Ordered kit(bearing, seal, gasket).
Found old carbon seal to be cracked and broken, fell apart when dissembled pump.
Pressed in new seal, and bearing. Made sure shaft turned free and easy. Installed. Leaked from hole in bottom of pump housing. Leaking around seal.
Removed dissembled , inspected impeller face, some pitting and what looked like there may have concentric groves machined on the face at one time. Polished face with 220 paper reassembled and reinstalled. Loud squeaking noise!
Oh Oh! Removed again dissembled, found brass cap holding spring and seal pressed to close to impeller and had rubbed on impeller. Cleaned up edges that had distorted from contacting impeller. Made sure seal moved freely in and out, unrestricted. Reinstalled. This time different noise. Removed, again and found one blade of the impeller had made contact with manifold. Pressed impeller in a "tad" Installed it for the fifth time! Added coolant. No noise! but leaked like a sieve!!
I give up. Any suggestions? or would I be better off sending it out to some one who rebuilds water pumps?

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 water pump repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I can only tell you that I have no car/mechanical skills...and I don't want to be marooned...so I send out. Not worth the small savings....to me.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I admire your tenacity. As much aggravation as you've had already, I'd have cried uncle after the second or third time and sent it to Gouldhttp://arthurgouldrebuilders.com/ Terrill Machine or someone else by now. Since you may have to buy some more parts if you keep going, probably money ahead to send it off. They have the tools, parts and can probably identify the problem quickly.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Water pump is the only piece that I sent out. You have to have the right tools, and know exactly what you are doing, or you that pricey rebuild kit becomes waste bin fodder. For a few dollars more, send it out, and let the frustration be someone else's problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 8:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Packards1 here--AKA Patrician Industires has them properly rebuilt, ready to go.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've bought several items from PAckards1 over the years. He is an excellent source for 55/56 parts. Maybe other models too. Jack Vines in Washington State has V8 engine parts too. Both have have fair prices and fast shipping. No problems buying from either one of them.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 12:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I took a quick look thru the 55/56 service manual but could not find any procedure outlined for water pump rebuilding.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 12:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Happy,
How close do the parts in the rebuild kit match to the old parts taken from the pump???? Any differences???? Sometimes differenses can be very subtle too so have to inspect close.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
I'm not familiar with Packard1 - could someone post his phone and/or email address?

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2013/4/13 10:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Joel Ray, Patrician Industries in Dearborn 313 565-3573. Email Packards1@aol.com and here is his ebay store.http://stores.ebay.com/packards1

Posted on: 2013/4/13 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved