Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: front stabilizer bar bushing replacement, & ultramatic electrical device
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
I was hoping to avoid the approach you suggested, but drilling out one of the spot welds and assembling the bushing and bracket on the bar is the way to go. Drats!

Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In response to the question about the electrical switch on the transmission.
Go to Packard Literature and Manuals.
Then Go to Service, Shop & Training Manuals
Select 1955 - 56 Service manual.
Go to the VIII Electrical section.
Figure 101 shows the orange wire coming from terminal F on the Auto Park Relay going to the pressure switch.
It shows an orange wire coming from the pressure switch to the PNR buss.
From inside you should be able to see an orange wire leaving the steering column and going to an ivory-colored multi-wire plug. Following that plug under the hood you should be able to follow the orange wire. It SHOULD be going to the pressure switch. I believe someone has routed it to the F terminal on the Park Relay.
Test the switch for continuity. You will need to replace it if it does not have continuity. You can then connect the orange wires as they should be. Several Packard vendors carry that switch.
I know - I'm long-winded.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Thank You Sir! I should be able to try this in the morning.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

happy wrote:
Thanks for the input. I looked all over, under car, engine compartment, but could find no orange or any other strange, loose or unconnected wires, most likely they were removed by one of the previous caretakers. I have no clue why they would want to do so. Looking at the wiring diagram shows no reference as to how this is connected to the electrical system. Would you know where I might find how this is supposed to be wired?

The factory wiring diagram for the electric shift is in the service manual and also on page 15 in service counselor Vol29#13https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL29NO13.pdf Those are early diagrams and while it is accurate for some early cars, most had the control relay removed either in later production or after delivery at dealerships. The pressure switch is barely seen at the bottom of the illustration between the starter motor and pushbuttons. Here is a later drawing by Autolite, the manufacturer of the unit. I've noted the pressure switch in the red circle. There is a comprehensive troubleshooting and operation manual available for the electric shift on sitehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/AutoLite_ServiceManual.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (137.25 KB)
209_51885cba02ff7.jpg 1280X892 px

Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
hap -

I'm not that familiar with your car, as presently equipped, but I'm also not sure how familiar you are with the wiring diagrams.

As intended by the factory, that pressure switch interrupted the power feed to the PNR buss in the column-mounted push button control switch assembly (at ~8MPH), but WHERE that wire picks up its feed seems to depend on whether or not your car still has the automatic park feature functioning.

As originally produced (see SC Vol. 29, No. 12, p. 62), the power feed to the pressure switch came from the #2 terminal of the transmission control relay.

However, it was soon discovered that auto park relay made the control relay redundant (see SC Vol. 30, No. 1, p. 2), and the control relay was removed from production, with that orange feed wire rerouted to the 'F' terminal on the auto park relay.

Months later, after production ended, a confidential bulletin was issued to Zone offices, regarding elimination of the automatic park function (see STB 56T-25), with instructions for removal of that relay. That orange wire was then spliced to the red/white wire and a new inline fuse holder; the other end of the fuse fed by a white wire that came from the front vehicle wiring harness and was formerly connected to the 'F' terminal.

Yet, in all cases, that orange wire went into a separate 'sector harness', down through the branch that runs to the transmission actuator, and out and over to one of two terminals on the pressure switch.

Another orange wire came off the other terminal of the pressure switch and ran back into that same branch of the sector harness, up to another branch in that same harness that goes through the firewall and leads to the steering column. That orange wire ultimately connects to the PNR buss bar.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
That switch, locks out park and reverse, randy can tell exactly,

After 5 mph, I taped my together, and did just that. with push button,

at the time could not find a switch, its going in this time..

Posted on: 2013/5/6 22:50
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Here are some pictures related to my sway bar experience on my 1955 400. Been some time ago BUT the welds were broken (I couldn't get the bushings into the designated spot any other way) and the two pieces were drilled out and then installed as seen. There was much use of colorful language IIRC too. Good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.92 KB)
20_51887f2ca704b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (97.96 KB)
20_51887f36d9e72.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (89.68 KB)
20_51887f42a1deb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.38 KB)
20_51887f4f78413.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.08 KB)
20_51887f5b58263.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (88.99 KB)
20_51887f6d78cf3.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Nice Kevin,

But I am thinking Jig, two piece, pour durathane in place. to keep original.

The bolt way is faster...and replace able..

thanks, I need to do it too..

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:36
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Riki.............I'd like to see that! I didn't have anything near that kind of skill sets to do as you propose. Keep me posted. Good luck!

PS...........it looks much nicer than seen in pictures. Black paint in a rattle can is marvelous to cover all those tool marks and indentations.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Kevin,

I will make a diagram, but easy to make., clamp on each side of bracket, mill the ends to match bracket.

Then make a jig to hold rod in center.

hold the whole sway bar in a vise vertical ,,

Posted on: 2013/5/7 21:40
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved