Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 174

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

front stabilizer bar bushing replacement, & ultramatic electrical device
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
A picture shows the rubber bushing pressed about half way into the bracket. Adding pressure seems to just distort the rubber without any advance into the bracket. Both sprayed with soapy water as a lubricant. Has anyone out there had experience with replacing these?

The second picture is of some electrical device attached to the ultramatic on a 56 400. I haven't been able to find any reference to what it might be in the parts or service manuals. The car drives and shifts okClick to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/5/4 10:06
 Top  Print   

Re: front stabilizer bar bushing replacement, & ultramatic electrical device
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What picture are you referring to? In the service manual?

Posted on: 2013/5/4 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
oops. apparently pictures did not load. Pictures not in manuals but taken of parts. I'll have to try to load them again. Drats!

Attach file:

jpg  (65.01 KB)
4376_51852f6eb60ca.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (78.83 KB)
4376_51852f8e7df99.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/4 10:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The electrical device is the switch that controls the PNR buttons on the pusbutton unit. You must have two orange wires that are connected together that should be plugged into this device. Do NOT try PNR buttons while moving. Yours will work. You can usually find these on ebay or order them from the usual suppliers. This is a safety device.

I'm no help on the bushings.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the bushings, earlier car brackets were two pieces and easily serviced. On the 55-6 believe they were riveted or welded into the one piece and came with the bar.

Even if you get the bushing in place it would be heavily compressed. I doubt you would be able to slide the bar in without destroying or damaging the bushing. It would be a chore sliding it that far if it will go. I believe you will have to grind off the rivet or welds to separate the upper and lower half of the bracket. You can then slide the bushing on the bar and insert the bar and bushing at the same time and bolt the two bracket pieces back to the frame. A regular bolt or even a short carriage bolt can replace the rivet.

If there is a 51-3 or 4? parts car around you could possibly grab a two piece bracket. I believe they are close or even identical in size or if not, could be made to work. If you are not concerned about authenticity, several have adapted modern universal type brackets having the replaceable poly bushings.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Didn't Henry put theses on his Clipper frame?

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=653&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Was there a cover for the transmission switch?

Posted on: 2013/5/4 13:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information

No.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Didn't Henry put theses on his Clipper frame?

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=653&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Henry did. His work on the brackets starts around herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=71264#forumpost71264

I believe there was a rubber boot only for the pressure switch. I have remnants of one on some old loom pieces. Not sure if it was ever repro'd.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
bhappy -

WRT to the frame bearing/bracket for the front stabilizer bar/rod, DO NOT try pressing the new bushings in. You'll only chew them up. It appears that the factory assembled the two halves/layers (inner and outer) of the beraing bracket aorund the bushing.

Notice the larger spot weld just below the locating dimple in the bracket (used to lock the bushing in place). There should be one of those on each leg of the brakcet. You can drill one of these welds out, then spread the outside half of the leg open enough to slip the new bushing in; then, close it up and secure the leg with a bolt and shakeproof nut.

However, you do not need to drill a hole as large as the spot weld. Instead, just drill a hole that's sized for a bolt. If the weld doesn't release after the hole is drilled, insert a THIN wedge between the halves of the legs, from the bottom, and apply a little heat from a torch. However, the location of the spot weld seems to vary quite a bit in production. In your case (judging from your photo), you may wanna try to locate the hole so that the flats of hex head of the bolt will just clear the bottom of the dimple.

Some guys prefer to drill out both spot welds on each bracket, but if you only drill one leg, you can install the bracket with the new bolt facing the rear (out of sight).

It is easier to slip the bushing over the bar, first, then install and bolt up the bracket. However, be sure to clean up the bar (from the bracket location to the end) so you don't tear up the ID of the bushing.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Thanks for the input. I looked all over, under car, engine compartment, but could find no orange or any other strange, loose or unconnected wires, most likely they were removed by one of the previous caretakers. I have no clue why they would want to do so. Looking at the wiring diagram shows no reference as to how this is connected to the electrical system. Would you know where I might find how this is supposed to be wired?

Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved