Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The last car Henry Ford ever rode in....
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I recently received my Hemmings Classic Car magazine(my favorite), and read an interesting bit of trivia. Henry Ford,Harvey Firestone & Thomas Edison used to go on camping trips. Some of those trips were taken in a Packard. They had a photo of them sitting in it.

Also, The last car Henry Ford ever rode in was a Packard....Hearse. Henry's last ride was in his funeral procession in a Packard.

Attach file:

gif  (34.28 KB)
633_48b3064cee084.gif 360X309 px

Posted on: 2008/8/25 14:21
 Top  Print   

Re: The last car Henry Ford ever rode in....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Dear Don, I found a webpage in relation to it......

Guscha,

Great story about the man Henry Ford, thanks for that.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 16:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Guscha-

Thats a great story. I respected Ford for alot that he did. I would love to have been on some of the camping trips with Henry, Thomas Edison, & Harvey Firestone. Also, I understand President Warren Harding would accompany them sometimes. Could you imagine some of those conversations?

Here is a story from Time magazine Apr. 21, 1947 talking about him riding in the Packard Hearse:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,853084-1,00.html

"All day, the day before, the body of Henry Ford had lain in state in the lobby of the recreation building at Greenfield Village, while 105,000 people had filed past. Now, inside St. Paul's, the Very Reverend Kirk B. O'Ferrall read the service. The crowd filed out and a Packard hearse carried the body of Henry Ford out along Joy Road to the small family cemetery beside a four-lane highway. Henry Ford had never ridden comfortably in any car but one of his own make; he wouldn't have liked it."

Attach file:

jpg  (26.93 KB)
633_48b32873195cc.jpg 450X321 px

Posted on: 2008/8/25 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The story around Detroit was that the Ford family and the FoMoCo folk looked high and low for a Lincoln hearse nearby, there was not one to be had, as Packard and Cadillac had the majority of that business. At one point they gave up and said, "well, a Packard will have to do, we won't have a Cadillac"

Ford and Packard always had a sort of mutual respect for each other, many people who lost their jobs at Packard were welcomed at Ford, a memo was sent out instructing managers to hire any ex-Packard employees looking for work.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
We had a great old time Packard mechanic here that hated Henry Ford with a passion. This guy was a second generation Packard mechanic since 1929. Anyway, one day while over at his house while he was working on my Packard, the subject of Henry going to his grave in a Packard came up. He stated that it was the only good thing "the miserable old ---tard ever did in his life. I just shut up, I wanted him to finish working on my 55 400. He also said a Ford was made to work on, "with a damn hammer". This great mechanic has long since passed away but his hatred of Ford is still remembered. Personally, I believe Ford and Packard probably co existed quite well. Remember the ad Ford took out congratulating Packard on their golden anniversy.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you are referring to Ford's antisemitism it is only fair to point out that he did not hold such a position for very long. In 1927 he repudiated his former views and even burned a valuable library of antisemitic books. This in spite of the fact that Jewish scholars argued that they ought to be preserved.

It may be fair to criticize Ford for his antisemitism but it is also fair to give him credit for NOT being an antisemite the last 20 years of his life. I don't believe there is any sign of antisemitism in the first 50 years either.

I don't particularly like Ford or his cars, both are over rated in my opinion. But fair is fair.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I was not refering to antisemitism. This mechanic just did not like Ford products or the man who invented them. In 1975 this mechanic tore apart his Rambler transmission for repair. He got very upset when he cleaned one of the castings and saw the fomoco logo. He went on an on how no one cared anymore what they put in automobiles. I then pointed out to him that the transmission had 268,000 miles on it and the casting he had cleaned was just fine. He just grumbled.

Posted on: 2008/9/10 14:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved