Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil pick up on 1940 356 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Have been trying to clean out oil suction screen assembly. Assembly seems way to heavy for its size so have soaking to get out and possible sludge which may be trapped inside. First used carburetor cleaner then diesel fuel. At least what's ever inside has broken loose as I can hear it slosh around when I shake the assembly. but still can't get it out. Can't disassemble to clean as screen is crimped into body all the way around and the protective metal cover that's over the screen is soldered on. Any ideas?
Thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil pick up on 1940 356 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Bill:

The sloshing is wrong. It should float on top of the oil.
That is the primary filtration method.

I would look for a better one. Then let it soak in a closed container of gasoline for a month.

Probably what happened to yours is someone tried to burn the sludge out of the screen and melted the solder. Ideally they should replaced by a new one with a rebuild, but that is impossible.

The hole in the middle of the screen precludes oil starvation.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Hi Tim, thanks. After reading your response I realized how obvious this should have been, a floating pick up is ideal for preventing settled solids (sludge) from entering the oiling ducts. Will look for another pick up assembly. Thanks again.
Bill

Posted on: 2013/8/19 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Hi Tim, I have to ask, I assume the reason for soaking the strainer assembly for a month in gasoline is to dissolve any inside sludge and to see if the float chamber is sealed? Also, can't find the "hole" in the suction screen. The lower side and bottom does, however, have four elongated openings exposing the fine mesh screen. I wonder if this is the original part? This one is made by Taylor Sales and Engineering in Elkhart Indiana, model #13692339-1890964. Of course, this doesn't match the part # in the Packard Parts List manual. Hope I can find a "floating" replacement or will have to take suction from the bottom and change the oil very often (engine does have a bypass filter). It looks like there was a repair made as there is a large glob of solder on the top near the center?
Bill

Posted on: 2013/8/20 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
It sounds like your float camber has a leak and has partly filled with liquid. The suction tube and screen should be free draining.

Best to look for a replacement

Taylor was the original supplier of this part and the float came with the blob of solder on top. Not sure about 1940, but the lower shield has 4 tabs that are crimped in place for 1948, not soldered.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
i believe max merrett can supply one

Posted on: 2013/8/20 19:59

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you take the cover off, there should be a hole in the center of the screen. The metal plate prevents sucking foam the same way as a windage tray.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Thanks,found a replacement that floats! Trying to repair flooded pick up and keep it as a backup. Removed solder from top to open small drain hole and removed shield from bottom. The 4 tabs holding the shield on were soldered on as well as being crimped. Maybe soldering the tabs broke the solder between what appears to be the two halves of the pick up? Is there a way to remove the screen so I can check and re-solder the edge joint around the edge of the pick up?

Posted on: 2013/9/11 22:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved