Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

ScottG, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Coolant?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Also dont forget to stop by NAPA and get a bottle of some "water pump lube" and add it to your radiator, the older impellers need it.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
[quote]Owen_Dyneto wrote:
...As far as additives which claim to be water pump lubricants, that's just a load of bunk since the bearings which need lubrication are located behind the seals so there is no way for the additive go get to the bearing unless the seal fails, in which case the pump is a goner anyway.../quote]

O_D - Good points. For those running straight water: Would not a water pump lubricant benefit the pump's seal? Understand the bearing operates outside of the coolant flow and the lubricant is not intended for the bearing. Also, would not a rust inhibitor be of benefit too?

Here in Austin, the threat of freezing is slight. I run a 25% mixture of anti freeze for the benefits of the additives, and better cooling capability.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/12 10:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JD, good point. To my knowledge permanent antifreeze has no lubricants in it for the water pump seal; can anyone say that water pump seals last fewer miles or years with antifreeze than with coolant with a water pump lubricant added?

Posted on: 2013/9/12 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
RE: Hemmings Classic Car Collector-car-magazine, August 2013, #107, page 70-72, "One the Verge" Coolant phase change in an engine: By Ray T. Bohacz...
I'm quoting the second to the last paragraph: "For many years, it was believed that water was the best engine coolant, since it has a specific heat rating of one --but it really a poor choice. Even if you do not consider the corrosion it causes, the low boiling point, even when used with a radiator cap, and the high surface tension mean that it will not do an effective job of removing heat from the cylinder head when compared to an application-specific engine coolant- no matter what the dashboard gauge states. Those who subscribe to the water logic for engine cooling are usually the ones on the side of the road with their hoods up when the going gets tough".

This a very in depth article on cooling, different additives, charts, etc. I hope my citing sources is enough to allow me to pass on this information to the forum.
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 13:51
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I have a newly rebuilt engine. So since the block and radiator are bone dry, I plan on going with the Evans Waterless Coolant. I like the benefits that they cover; higher boiling point, better heat transfer, no risk of corrosion.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/car-care/waterless-engine-coolant/

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/9/12 15:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved