Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Advice needed on selling car
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Randerson wrote:
While a nice car (like all Packards!)I think that being the lowest model on the totem pole and a six works against it, as most people think "prestige" when they think of Packard. These were the kind of lower priced cars that diluted the Packard image, at least in the minds of many enthusiasts.
Just my $.02

I agree. But on the positive side... having two less cylinders in this age of very expensive gasoline could be made into a selling point.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 18:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, do you mean, someone will buy a 1947 Clipper to save fuel costs?

Click to see original Image in a new window
Packard fuel truck 1917

Posted on: 2013/10/4 23:43
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
OK, maybe the car isn't the top of the line and some of you may cast aspersions upon it, but it is still a good, high-quality automobile and a good driver. So whether a 6-cylinder Packard is to blame for the demise of the company is not relevant to the needs of this seller.

Since it is unlikely that this car will attract buyers from long distances, I think you might consider concentrating on the local market. Detail it as best you can and put it out in public places for lots of people to see. Give a lot of details about the car, tell people how much fun it is to drive, and remind people that Packard was once a top-end luxury car.

According to NADA, your car is valued between $4,700 (low), $10,500 (average), and $19,200 (high). Figure out what your bottom-line price is and justify it via NADA.

These, in the words of Randerson, are my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 6:51
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
If someone wants the best value for a vintage DRIVER the 6 cylinder Packards are at the top of the list in my opinion.
We have owned V8, 8 and 6 cylinder Packards over the years. The one we keep is a 1940 110 with overdrive.
A classic no, Expensive no,
Rare no, but a great driver with all the style of a Packard.
And:
It is 100% reliable, economical, comfortable, smooth, and of high quality.
Present and sell yours with confidence.
Just a thought.
John

Posted on: 2013/10/5 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
If someone wants the best value for a vintage DRIVER the 6 cylinder Packards are at the top of the list in my opinion.
We have owned V8, 8 and 6 cylinder Packards over the years. The one we keep is a 1940 110 with overdrive.
A classic no, Expensive no,
Rare no, but a great driver with all the style of a Packard.
And:
It is 100% reliable, economical, comfortable, smooth, and of high quality.
Present and sell yours with confidence.
Just a thought.
John

Posted on: 2013/10/5 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
It most certainly is a high quality car and I never said that it wasn't, nor did I cast any aspersions or denigrate it in any way. To the diligent, if one were to look back a year or so, one might well see an ad I posted looking for a Clipper Six, and furthermore some other posts contemplating the installation of a 6 cylinder, which I consider superior in some respects to the smaller inline 8s and more trouble free than the V8s, in a '55 or '56. I'll go even farther and say that I consider the Packard 6 cyl the finest flathead six ever made. But it is also a fact that many hardcore (are there any other kind?) Packard enthusiasts to this very day blame the Packard Six, Packard 110 and Clipper 6 for a diminution of Packard prestige that some (not I) feel ultimately contributed to the downfall of the company, and that clear "prejudice" against the 6 may very well factor into some Packard buyers' decision, and I opined that it might, and being that the OP asked why the car was not selling, it is a relevant factor. That said, I myself personally consider it a very desirable car, as John above has said, however it is also an indisputable fact that some Packard aficionados may well not. My $.03

Posted on: 2013/10/6 16:14
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved