Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 142

Stefanie, bkazmer, William Grosz, Packardbarry, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Visiting London--Any suggestions for car museums???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Juan.

I concur with everything the guy's have said. Beaulieu is by far the best car museum with a good all round collection of cars from across the world. The Enfield Whitewebb's museum is run by a group of enthusiastic guy's and is a bit on the small side for a day's visit with mainly Brit cars and motorbikes. It is also a bit out in the Boonies with no direct bus service, so if you haven't got a car it's a bit difficult to get to. All the other places mentioned are well worth a visit. At Beaulieu you are in one of the UK's nicest areas in the New Forest and also close to Southampton and Portsmouth if you are interested in naval stuff.
Near to Beaulieu is Bucklers Hard where they used to build the old wooden war ships and of course a lot took place there during world war2 where the invasion build up took place and from where the Mulberry harbour took shape. When are you planning on coming to London? Don't forget to bring your rain gear.

Here's wishing you a good trip.
T

Posted on: 2013/10/12 3:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
OHH.... And I forgot to mention the Bibendum Restaurant in the former Michelin Tyre House.
http://www.bibendum.co.uk/the-building.html

So now you've drug your wife through all the auto-centric and military museums and she is getting a little wary of all this "manly stuff" and you need to take her out for dinner.

I eat here at least once every time we go to England. Amazingly GREAT food in a former Michelin Tyre office/shop built in 1911. The walls are lined with huge, stained glass panels of Bibendum - the Michelin Man.

This place is pricy, but very well worth it.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.20 KB)
436_52594f4ea4a9a.jpg 579X338 px

jpg  (29.69 KB)
436_52594f6b1c7b4.jpg 369X338 px

Posted on: 2013/10/12 8:32
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
One other suggestion if you have more time - the Haynes International Motor Museum in Sparkford near Yeovil in Somerset (southwestern England). They have a lot of incredible cars. They a look at their website.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
If you are visiting London and don't plan to rent a car, then you won't get to see the car museums like Beaulieu (pronounced "bew-lee") or the Haynes. These are both minimum 4 to 5 hour drives out of London and are not directly served by public transport. Even the London Motor Museum isn't in London and would be an hour's drive away!

I might be wrong but the only motor museum in the city is the London Transport Museumhttp://www.ltmcollection.org/vehicles/type/type.html?IXtype=130

Of course this is weighted towards buses and taxis but there are other things too.

If you are planning to be there around November 5th, I will be a the Transport Museum for a party there in the evening, staying overnight. I'd be more than happy to meet you and show you round.

One place to call into might be the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) at 89 Pall Mall. There's a library and they always have a stunning motor in the foyer. However you need to wear a jacket and tie!!!

Posted on: 2013/10/16 2:59
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I heartily second RogerDetroit's recommendation to visit Churchill's war room, it is very convenient, just off of Whitehall road. Incredible sight, they just closed the door and left it after V-E day, they were thinking that there might be war with Russia soon, so they left everything intact.
40 years later someone realized that it was a time capsule and they opened it to the public, after much work.
The Imperial War museum on the south side of the Thames on Lambeth road. Plan on an afternoon there, it is a very full museum, and beautifully done. As the son of a WWII vet (91 years old and still with us!) who served in the UK during WWII
I found their profound and pronounced appreciation of the United States and our involvement in the wars very moving.
Take some of the walking tours of London, you will be taken to see places and learn about some things you would not otherwise see. Take the Tube everywhere, it is wonderfully functional in a way most Americans outside of New York or San Francisco can't imagine.
I would do most of my eating at Pubs, they have really good food and it is reasonable. Anything that we think of as a restaurant here is quite expensive there.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 7:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
If you are visiting London and don't plan to rent a car, then you won't get to see the car museums like Beaulieu (pronounced "bew-lee") or the Haynes. These are both minimum 4 to 5 hour drives out of London and are not directly served by public transport...

The Haynes International Motor Museum says: "The Haynes International Motor Museum is easily located from all directions and is well connected by public transport to other areas in the UK."
(There is a high speed link between London and Yeovil.)

Haynes International Motor Museum
Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset, BA22 7LH.
Tel: 01963 440 804
Fax: 01963 441 004
www.haynesmotormuseum.com

Quote:
...Even the London Motor Museum isn't in London and would be an hour's drive away!

The London Motor Museum says: "For those travelling by train from London Paddington, trains leave regularly stopping at Hayes and Harlington Station (5 min walk too museum). Journey time is approximately 20mins. You are able to use Oyster and Travel Cards on this service so no extra purchase of tickets is necessary."

LONDON MOTOR MUSEUM
3 Nestles Avenue
Hayes, Middlesex
UB3 4SB
0800 195 0777
info@londonmotormuseum.co.uk
www.londomotormuseum.co.uk

Posted on: 2013/10/16 13:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved