Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Great wedding; horrible start next day...
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Went to a lovely outdoor wedding near Rockford (about 75 miles) where the bride was delivered in a magnificent 1956 Patrician. Fun time!

Until next morning, when the car wouldn't start.

Carb was rebuilt this summer by a reliable mechanic. 93 octane Mobil. Complete tune about 250 miles ago. Temp about 44 degrees.

Wife claims she did what I do; put gas down to set choke, let gas up and crank. Somehow the car was flooded and despite several cycles of holding gas down and waiting 15 mins between tries was firing on one cylinder too few and would not run.

Eventually, a good Samaritan removed the air cleaner and stuck a screwdriver in the carb, where several magnificent backfires later it ran like a Swiss watch and pretended that nothing was wrong.

QUESTIONS:

1.) What procedure would you use to start the car.

2.) What should be happening in the carb; should the choke be fully closed at the start?

P.S.

Mileage is about 10 no m,atter what I do. this seems mighty low, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Exhaust is clean to see but leaves black soot on tail pipe.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 15:13
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Great wedding; horrible start next day...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Your starting procedure is correct. Your problem sounds like a stuck "ON" (always full rich) power valve and/or power piston. Certainly, the 10MPG and black soot in the tailpipe indicates that. Flooding at cold start with choke full on also indicates this since this would be a "double rich" condition.

Have someone who knows these carbs and knows what they are doing remove the 4GC and check/fix the power system.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/11/3 17:06
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Your starting procedure is correct. Your problem sounds like a stuck "ON" (always full rich) power valve and/or power piston. Certainly, the 10MPG and black soot in the tailpipe indicates that. Flooding at cold start with choke full on also indicates this since this would be a "double rich" condition.

Aha! Very useful tips; many thanks! It seemed to me that acute flooding at what is a relatively benign temp was unusual.

Have we ever achieved consensus on what road mileage should be? I tend to be gentle with the car, although around here the tollway traffic bears a marked resemblance to a nascar road circuit. 70mph is routine; more is not unusual. Coming home today was bumper to bumper at 70 in construction zones (which is the entire tollway...)

Posted on: 2013/11/3 17:48
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
My 55 Pat gets 15-17MPG on the freeway, 12-13MPG around town (stop & go). I don't "hot rod" it, but you have to go 70-80 on the freeways around here to not be run over.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/11/3 18:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
with my 56,

i see if it will fire first, if it fires then you used the left over fuel,

then i hit the carb,,

i do this to non fuel injected engines

Posted on: 2013/11/3 21:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have 4 old cars.......What I have learned in starting them is crank the engine before touching the gas pedal........then...... while still cranking depress gas pedal. It's an easy fix to flooding issues until you are able to adjust the choke with confidence. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 13:21
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The technique I've worked out on my 56 Caribbean (dual quads) is that I always just lightly touch the gas pedal to reset the choke before starting EXCEPT when wanting a restart within 20 minutes or so of a shutdown after a long, hard and hot drive. In that case I just crank the starter without touching the gas - otherwise I've got to floor the gas pedal to unload the choke to get it started. With these two methods I pretty much get instant starts all the time except after long storage (14 days) when I have to crank a bit to fill the carbs.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I had a similar problem with my '56 Patrician after I had the carby rebuilt. The problem turned out to be exactly what Craig is suggesting. In my case a small hair or whisker, probably from the carby rebuilder, had lodged in the seat of the power valve which wouldn't allow it to reseat and seal properly. It was fixed simply by removing the hair. No prob's like this since and mileage has improved significantly. John

Posted on: 2013/11/5 3:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved