Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 230

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 500 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
The color is more in line with the 55 offered Sardonyx I think. The car looks really nice IMO. How much do the errors you guys have pointed out hurt it's value? I was thinking the price was in line if the mechanics are in good order, undercarriage in good order, leveling and all power works. If it doesn't need anything I was thinking it was more in the $14K-$15K range. I really like these 55-56 Patricians more and more.

Where is the trim code located on this car?

Posted on: 2014/1/20 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Sardonyx? Perhaps you've been looking only at paint suppliers' chip sets, which tend to scan dark for some colors. The chips provided with the 55 dealer showroom album (also on file here) are a little closer - at least on my screen.

Yet, I've seen this color in person, and on more than one car. It's a clearly has a red base, with a bit of brown and gray to it - but nothing like maroon.

I never said the CL car didn't look nice, but that it's done in some non-authentic colors, which does have some effect on value WRT certain segments of the market. How much does it cost to repaint or or reupholster - even if only in correct colors (not materials)? On the other hand, the colors may be perfectly acceptable to someone with no interest in authenticity or judge shows.

Personally, I wouldn't value the car, as a buyer, anywhere near $14K-$15K - especially when there was a gorgoeus white/black 55 400 offered elswhere on this site in recent months that had been marked down to $18K.

Chrome looks nice in pix, but the camera can be very deceptive. As you noted, we know nothing of the mechanicals and the listing doesn't provided a shot of the engine bay, let alone trunk space or underbody.

Paint and trim codes were stamped on the VN plate, which was affixed to the driver's door hinge pillar. They can be decoded from the front matter of the parts book. The showroom albums not only offer chips and swatches, but show availablilty.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"Personally, I wouldn't value the car, as a buyer, anywhere near $14K-$15K - especially when there was a gorgeous white/black 55 400 offered elsewhere on this site in recent months that had been marked down to $18K. "

Does anyone know if that car sold or is it waiting until Spring to pop up again? Think it was near Indy or OH.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 23:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Looks like it may have been converted to a column shift.The shift shown looks like it may have come out of a Clipper.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 6:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The original post, For Sale: 1955 Packard 400 35K Original Miles in Excellent Condition, discloses the location as "near Dyaton, OH".

I'd read, elsewhere, that the car had been sold, but the above thread has not not been updated as such.

Now, I'm not saying the car was perfect, but as an unmolested original with comparatively low miles, it didn't look like it needed much.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

That Phoenix '56 Patrician looks quite striking in that color, is it possible it was special ordered in Roman Copper and Dover White?

Even if it isn't authentic, one surely could live with it, such a handsome Packard!

Steve

Posted on: 2014/1/21 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
The shift shown looks like it may have come out of a Clipper.

Good catch! The little glimpse of that black knob is lost in the rest of the view from the driver's seat, looking right.

If built that way at the factory (as PB was optional on all but the Carib), it should have a chrome knob at the end of lever, which would have been finished to match the control knobs on the instrument board, as used on Senior cars. I should know, since my other 56 Pat was built with manual select for the Twin Ultramatic.

I also noticed that the column is a different color than the steering wheel and instrument board - more like a medium brown, as was used in 55.

Too much mix-n-match for my tastes, but to each their own.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
... is it possible it was special ordered in Roman Copper and Dover White?

To answer that question, one would first need to inspect the VN tag.

Beyond that, only a copy of the production order, which might be available from the Sutdebaker Museum (since this is a 56 and not a Carib or Four Hundred) would tell the rest of the (factory) story.

While it is a fact that Packard did, on ocassion, accomodate (and document) special requests, such examples are not nearly as common as private alterations.

It's not that I don't like maroon, but I'll be stripping every last spec of it off of my 56 Pat and restoring it to original colors - something like the example attached below.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.08 KB)
103_52de88a8df924.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/1/21 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hate to drift off-topic, but back in post #179, Let the Ride Decide asked about an item on eBay. It sure ain't a Torsion-Level part; it's not even a Packard part. Shame on the seller.

Take a look at the second image from the auction that I've attached below. Then, take a look at an image from the Rockler (woodworking) catalog that I've also attached, and I think you'll agree that this is a glide for a wooden chair leg.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.58 KB)
103_52df28beb1b24.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (15.00 KB)
103_52df28cf8ff01.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2014/1/21 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
'55 Patrician # 1

Why did somebody bother to save this car if they were not going to SAVE this car??
On the bright side, it was not stored in a lake....
Not for long, anyhow.
Maybe a guy could buy that crashed Clipper on Ebay & get some great parts -at least to get it on the road.
This one is a keeper.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 10:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 500 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved