Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 190

Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 55 caribbean on ebay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The seller added more pictures, and reserve price

The clutch pedal is interesting one. I would like to see underneath pictures of how this was done.

Looks like a lot of rust.

Can't make out the firewall number

Attach file:

jpg  (102.27 KB)
1220_530e292dac1a8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (70.75 KB)
1220_530e2940e6a41.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (120.16 KB)
1220_530e298d5d97c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (129.13 KB)
1220_530e29a431935.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (146.59 KB)
1220_530e2ae81ba9a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/26 12:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the extra pictures. Obviously the clutch was a later addition as the factory pedal would not have been a pendulum-swung arrangement but direct thru the toe board. You'd have to be a supreme glutton for punishment to take this one, and have pockets down to your ankles!

Posted on: 2014/2/26 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The only part of this car that I find interesting is the convertible top mechanism. And that would be if the "seller" gave it to me. Then I MIGHT use the top mechanism on some other 55-56 Packard that I wanted to convert to a convert. Otherwise, it needs to go to the scrapper. Sometimes they are just too far gone.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/26 14:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
There is a man in Indiana who has brought back a quite a few of these Caribbeans in this shape.

He brings the restored cars to the PAC meets as well as Texas Packard meets.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I suppose if one has the time, resources, and (above all) tons of money, it is possible to restore just about anything, Packard Caribbeans included. With the exception of possibly the top mechanism, it does not appear that there are a lot of salvageable parts on this car. Just having it towed more than 200 miles would cost more than this car is worth in this shape.

It is sort of like lifting a rock in the center of Death Valley and discovering a dusty bottle of 1929 Pettrus wine. Yes, the wine could be worth a fortune under the right circumstances; but burried in the California desert for years is not anyone's idea of optimal storage conditions! Just like this bottle of wine, this sorry old Caribbean is simply an object whose value is pretty much shot.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 16:59
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I must say that I agree with the majority opinion. That said
if there is someone there or if I were 30 years younger, I would tackle it. Yes I am crazy but if it were not for us crazy folks, who would you sane people have to talk about.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:11
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In terms of making a faux 55/56 Caribbean from a hardtop the top mechanism isn't unique, it's essentially the same as the 51-54 convertibles. But the front windshield frame assembly is unique to the 55/56 convertibles and would be nearly essential if you wanted to create a "new" V8 Caribbean.

So I offer this one for the windshield frame. Just joking, I think this photo came to me from either Mike Dulinski or Joel Ray. I wonder what ever happened to it, I titled the photo "before", still waiting for the "after".

Attach file:

jpg  (133.68 KB)
177_530e6694ce4ad.jpg 1152X864 px

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD,
I actually asked Mike D about the blue and white car. It was parted out.

I tend to agree with Al on this don't we all see a silk purse sometimes that others see as sows ears?

Big Kev did a car that many would not do, but it's done, and looks great.

Ross has fun with cars too that others would not touch.

There were only so many Caribbean's made, but plenty of 400's to bring them back.

I guess I have seen the books that the Indiana man shows of the cars he's done.

Hope springs eternal!

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
If you look at my Patrician on the FOR SALE forum, This car was completely panned by Mike D. He really took my wife and I to task for even considering doing this car. I will say it was no where near as distressed as the blue and white Carrib
that M.D. owned but it was close. And I think from the pictures I presented, it turned out well.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:51
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
i believe with manual brakes,the pedal is thru the floor,but with power brakes,can do it ,and if u notice that cars trim code is blank,,car must of been a special order for someone ,and does anyone know what the mumbers on the firewall stand for??? hope someone out there knows ,let me know ,,thanks

Posted on: 2014/2/27 0:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved