Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

packard 1402 starter motor problems
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave
See User information
hi don't know if anyone can shed some light on this I have 1936 senior standard 8 Packard. I have 2 starter motors 1st starter owen dyneto 6v with 10 teeth, and a auto lite 12v may2017 with 9 teeth, I believe the car should have the owen dyneto starter, however it does not mesh with the ring gear,i think I may have the wrong fly wheel/ring gear.
the question I have are there different flywheels for this engine i.e 1937/8 etc and if so how many teeth should it have or part numbers.
hope you can help Dave

Posted on: 2014/2/26 14:25
 Top  Print   

Re: packard 1402 starter motor problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'll wait for Jason or Dave to answer about the number of teeth. I do know the 36 Starter is the same as the 38 starter, (Dyneto/Autolite MAX-4014 - if you need one, I gots one) so I doubt you have a ring gear issue.
Additionally, I do not recognize the 12V starter number without digging deep into a parts book - are you saying you are setup for a 12V system? There was discussion about prewar 12V systems a few months back - as to whether anyone had ever seen one...I don't recall any definitive/positive information.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 19:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave
See User information
hi there thanks for email,what i got with the car was 3 engines in bits and 2 starter motors. the autolite starter has 9 teeth and turns the car over very slow because its a 12v starter,when i put the owen dynetto starter i it locked up,so i removed it and messured the pinion gear which is smaller,the car has a 6v system,i can get around it by making a 12v starter relay system which i dont realy want,i have 3 flywheels so maybe one of the engines was a 12v system for the uk and used a different ring gear and starter.
my father has a 1934 packard with the same engine and owen dyneto starter with 10 teeth.what i am going to do is to pull the engine out and check the teeth on the ring gear,but i dont want to do all that for nothing so i was hopeing that some new about this,have i got 2 wrong starters or 1 wrong flywheel.
i have just recieved a starter bendix 9 tooth which is also wrong as the diameter of the gear is the same as the 10 tooth,hope you can make sence of this dave

Posted on: 2014/2/27 6:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
What is the number of the owen-dyneto starter?

Posted on: 2014/2/27 7:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave
See User information
there is no tag on the starter motor

Posted on: 2014/2/27 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is the car right-hand drive? If so it's remotely possible it was equipped with 12-volt. Are the generator and light bulbs 6-volt or 12-volt? What model # is the generator?

Correct 6-volt starter would be an Auto-Lite MAX 4014, flywheel 230425. The 36 Eight (1400-01-02) had a unique flywheel not shared with other models 1936 and prior. Though the 1933-36 parts list indicates this same flywheel was used on the 36 Super Eight, that error was corrected in Service Letter Vol. 12, #5.

Are you sure the motor involved is a 1936 1402 motor? Motor #s should be 390501 thru 394505.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 9:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave
See User information
i have just been and had a look at another 1936 packard that is being restored 148 teeth on flywheel starter motor owen dyneto max4014,what i have found out is also the starter bendix is 9 tooth.however i have counted the teeth on the other flywheel 118 teeth which must be an earlier flywheel and 10 teeth on the bendix.
so what i need is a starter motor max4014 6 volt.if you have one of these can i have a price please dave

Posted on: 2014/2/27 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have a nice MAX-4014, rebuilt, nice shiny solenoid, ready to go.
Price - 563.41 or so, plus shipping. Yikes!...who do we know with room in their luggage...If my price is out of line, someone please tell me. Senior Packard starters on ebait have gone way weird lately, some high, some higher, some crazy. The only other alternate starter is Delco 729-H (1937 Super 8). If you are not a numbers freak, this may be an alternate option, about the same price. I saw one of these last week at the PI meet, unknown condition, priced at 500.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 12:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I'm pretty sure I see what the problem is although it is quite late and bitter cold (-9 as I type) here in Michigan so I could be missing something. You sent me a picture of a drive and requested a 9 tooth replacement, so I sent you just that. Now that I see what your actual starter number is, you have/had the wrong drive and the one your are trying to use has a larger gear. You need a 9 tooth smaller gear drive. I have these in stock. Email me and I think we can get this straightened out. I apologize, I should have paid closer attention to your application and not just the picture of the drive you stated were looking for when you emailed me.
-Jason

Posted on: 2014/2/28 0:27
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave
See User information
I think I have sorted this out now many thanks

Posted on: 2014/2/28 15:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved