Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 193

CCR, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 55 caribbean on ebay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Steve,

Why wouldn't you use the parts on a Caribbean?

Isn't Ross already doing a 56 Clipper convertible?
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6086&forum=4&post_id=127283#forumpost127283

Attach file:

jpg  (37.28 KB)
1220_53120216da94b.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/3/1 10:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An Executive convertible would be stunning and quite the car. IMO, the eyebrows and Clipper taillights with the simple straight side trim are just meant to be together.

O_D brought up some good points about the mechanism in an earlier post. Would the top mechanism work with the existing windshield height or are we talking half a car transplant to make that work. Another question would be the top length. Would it work on the shorter wheelbase. I don't know exactly what changed when they lengthened the body for the 55-6 convertibles and hardtops other than it happened behind the front doors. How far behind and did the earlier top mechanism say as is or was it lengthened too.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yeah, I think you would need a lot more than just the folding top frame (stack) to convert another car into a convertible, and I'm not just talking about pump plumbing and wiring.

Beyond the obvious diffrences in windshield frame, rear seat, and quarter trim, remember that they had to cut-n-splice the trunk lid inner panel to make it shorter, in length. That means the body panel between the backlite and deck lid was also relocated rearward to clear the stack for the convertible.

Now, if you take a look at Grs. 30.141 and 30.1415 in the 55-56 parts book, you'll find that the 56 Exec (and Clipper) hardtop models use the same rain gutter and and trim for the roof as the 55 400. That should be enough to say that its the same roof; the back end of the fixed roof just sets further back of the body of the longer wheelbase.

While the trunk lid (Gr. 31.157) is also same across all closed car models of a given year, the upper rear end center panel raises a question as there's a different P/N (hence design) between Jr. and Sr. hardtops.

Then, there's whole host of body/frame reinforcements to consider - some in places you'd never expect. I'm sure Randy Berger can attest to that.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,
Care to expand on this?

Posted on: 2014/3/1 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Convertibles by nature require more bracing and stiffening because the roof is missing. Caribbeans have plate steel welded on top and bottom of the frame including X-member. There are extra braces from under the headlights down to the frame. Just look at the weight difference between a Caribbean and a 400. I believe the difference is 700 lbs. Someone will look this up and confirm or refute this. There are also internal braces in the rear window access panels. I don't believe the convertibles were dropped down as all the other bodies were during assembly.
Convertibles do not have rubber body mounts - they are solid steel.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 15:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roadster
See User information
I spoke to my Father earlier today about this 55 Caribbean that is listed on EBAY. He remembers looking at a similar car that Dick Murray from Schenectady NY was selling in the late 1970's. My Dad ended up purchasing 2 other Packard's from Dick. A 1956 400 standard shift-column and a 55 400 with a hydramatic set up. I wonder if this is the same Caribbean that Dad looked at?

Posted on: 2014/3/1 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The reason I'd rather someone would use the convertible-specific parts to build a '56 Executive convertible is my fascination with what could/should have been built. That and I've come to appreciate the '56 Executives in a new light.

Probably a more economically viable use of those scarce parts is to convert a 400 into a 're-bodied' Caribbean though subsequent owners should be made aware of it's history i.e. how it came to be.

The topic of how the '55 & '56 convertibles were built, what changes/modification, what was common with the 400 etc, is one I've considered starting as a tread to examine in depth......anyone interested in participating?

Steve

Posted on: 2014/3/1 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,

I would like to know what you mean by this statement.

There are also internal braces in the rear window access panels.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Trying to create an executive convertible would be possible but a daunting task. The front windshield frame of the Caribbean is a three piece unit of cast bronze that is held into the shortened side frames with bolts that were leaded over from the factory. The panel behind the back seat and the trunk is shortened to allow the well for the top- hence the shortened deck lid . The X frame is reinforced as mentioned in the posts but the floor pan is also distinct from the 400 and presumably the Executive and has side bolster boxes that give extra support to the area of the doors. The body bolts directly to the frame without rubber biscuits . The wiring harness would need altered to accommodate the wiring for the top pump and a switch acquired for top operation.
Lots of work to build a car that would be different looking but would end up like the convertible conversions of the Continental Mark II- different but never accepted or valued.
The Caribbean is rough but could be put back in shape with less work and although I doubt that it would generate a profit, it would preserve a car that was the swan song of a great marque.
I hope someone restores it rather than parting it out.
I would like to inspect the car since the standard transmission , if original, would be a rare option on a Caribbean . I know the pedals for the standard go through the floor plate on the Constellarion a friend is restoring that has the standard brakes and the three speed trans. I have not seen a Caribbean with the standard shift nor one without power brakes. Maybe someone has pictures ??

Posted on: 2014/3/1 19:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Let the ride decide:
Here is pic from rear window access panel. Note the diagonal brace. Memory says my 400 does not have this brace.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.20 KB)
23_5312a5a32e84f.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved