Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steele Rubber
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Does anyone make headliner rubber products for the Packard? The price of the small grommets I want is okay, but $14.00 for shipping is not what I would expect.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 18:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Steele Rubber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanter has some repro rubber items which at one time he said were not made by Steele. No idea if he has what you need though.

MetroMoldedhttp://www.metrommp.com/ has a few items they say are Packard specific and quite a bit of universal items including grommets. You might find one of those grommets that works for what you need. Otherwise, AFAIK Steele is the only other game.

Which grommets are you looking for. If they are not terribly specific, McMaster has a fairly good selection of regular types that might work in a pinch.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 18:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
They are specialty, the Headliner Grommets. I know it sounds cheap to complain about $14.00 for the for shipping grommets, but it irks me to pay that much for a handfull of rubber to be shipped.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe me, I feel the same way on freight. One from McMaster I've been looking at for my 47 headliner bows is this onehttp://www.mcmaster.com/#9600k65/=qxto7l It might work for mine but no idea if your requirements are anywhere near the same size. It might be a tad large but the sheet metal requirements are close enough to the hole size I have that it might be possible to slit and remove a short length or section it. Once inserted in the sheet metal hole the resulting inner size should be small enough the bows didn't flop around.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 19:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I will check the fit in the morning to see if this will work. Looks like I'll have a lot of spares if they do.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
i make my own, sheet rubber from a rubber suppler in town and the right size hole saw, use a wood saw to cut the grove and trim with a very sharp knife. i also make the rubbers for the thrust rods on the tranmissions. have fun dell

Posted on: 2014/3/3 20:31

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
You might also check with Kanter, max merit, and other Packard vendors, who sell Steele Rubber parts to see what their shipping costs are.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
steele , does go to car swap meets, they have been here in san diego before,,,for the big three swap meet, at the san diego stadium,,

when shipping out costs the part something is wrong,,,,,

Posted on: 2014/3/3 22:55
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I had an issue when I went to buy a sticker and the shipping charge was $10. It's because the website I was buying from only listed UPS and that was the minimum for a box to my house. I called customer service and asked them to just throw it in an envelope through USPS. Got it for the price of a letter. Maybe if you called Steele they would do that for you? Not sure but worth a shot.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 12:43
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
According to the economists those shipping costs are not inflationary.

I agree it is ridiculous, but may also be the profit source.

UPS has never been my favorite carrier for non-business merchandise. I have always preferred the USPS. Once I shipped a lawnmower via the post office for under $30.

The politics surrounding the postal system is sickening considering how money is thrown away on junk like foreign invasions without the benefit of territorial plunder. Or bailing out millionaires as well.

Generally, I will buy from a vendor who uses the post office before one who uses only UPS.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 17:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved