Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 86

HH56, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Source for material for glass mounting
Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
I am looking for a source for the material to set the vent window glass for my 1940 Packard. An old time glass setter said it could be cork. Anyone know what new material could be used ?

Also did the original safety glass have any distinctive etching annotating safety glass. My original has a small marking I will need to magnify just to see what it says.

Thanks Fred D

Posted on: 2014/3/19 17:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Source for material for glass mounting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I just did this on my 47 and used the all rubber glass setting tape from Restoration Specialtieshttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/ Mine needed the 1/16" thickness but they have several others to choose from. The rubber/cork blend is also available if you prefer that. Steele Rubber also carries glass setting tape under the name sash channel filler strip.

My past experience in this work was non existent but the rubber stretched and molded decently on the vents so managed to get the glass in without breaking. Packard says lubricate the slot with oil but I used silicone spray. After the first one, I did have better results by cutting and shaping it to eliminate some of the bulk at the severe angle before sliding the glass in. Not sure how the cork would do in that application. That would probably be better on the regular windows where it is a simple straight bend.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Source for material for glass mounting
Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Thank you HH56.

I thought that there had to be a source along with personal knowledge on using it.

I will definitely look in to both suggested sources. I know I will be needing other products from steele in the near future.

Thanks again
Fred D

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved