Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel pump insulators
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess I'm saying the obvious; "spacers" around the bolts are primarily heat insulators, though also needed for alignment. Ditto on some models for the very thick pump spacer block.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
When I pulled the fuel pump out of my "51 last summer the spacers were made of brass. That's what I put back in after a rebuild.

Posted on: 2014/1/18 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I suspect someone in the past used the brass spacers to fill the space, not realizing that brass is a pretty good conductor of heat versus phenolic and why the phenolic was used. I know the first time I worked on my 40 120, I didn't know why that funny stuff was in there, and why the bolts that didn't fill the holes were used. My 51 200 had the phenolic ones.

I would suggest that you get some of the phenolic tubing mentioned earlier in this string and replace them. But if you aren't having any vapor lock problems, then why bother.

Posted on: 2014/1/18 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I make very quick and easy insulators by cutting a strip of fiber gasket paper as wide as the hole is deep, and wrapping it around the bolt a few turns to a suitable thickness.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 10:03
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I realize it's a bit of money up front but if you're into the hobby for the long term and don't have one, a small lathe like this one from Harbor Freight is a wonderful tool to have. Turning plastics for such things as the bushings under discussion here and other non-conductive bushings for generators, distributors etc. and small metal parts such as the occasional carburetor part, bronze bushings for distributors, generators and starters, king pins, and all such items are easily done from inexpensive stock materials. It is large enough (just barely) to turn most generator and starter commutators. I've also used it to cut the occasional thread and decorative bolts such as acorn-headed. And learning the skills to do the work is enjoyable. Give it some thought.

Another useful shop tool is you already have a drill press is to buy a cross-feed table which enables you to do some simple milling chores; between the two there are many small replacement parts you can make, often from sturdier or more suitable materials than the originals. I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.86 KB)
177_52dbeecf35a6f.jpg 1280X791 px

Posted on: 2014/1/19 10:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I removed my fuel pump from my 52 200, and measured the parts. The spacers, washers and gasket are all phenolic.

Gasket is 0.075" thick
Washers are 0.10" thick
Spacers are 0.75" high, 0.67" outside diameter, and 0.04" wall thickness

The phenolic gasket is like a spacer, and there weren't any other gaskets used, it seemed to be sealing fine.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 19:33
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Ron Carpenter makes and sales the spacers 925-980-0208

Posted on: 2014/1/29 0:50

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
There are Packard engines that need the spacers to prevent the pump from binding against the galley area ( depends on pump ). May have just been a field type repair to allow fuel flow if correct pump is not available. The pumps I've seen all have sleeves inside the mounting holes.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/1/30 0:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Ok, so I was changing out the Fuel pump on my '53 cClipper yesterday and sure enough, on putting the assembly back through the wheel well, I lose the spacer/sleeve. Spent about 30 minutes looking in the shock tower/control arm to no avail. The spacer on the opposite side of the pump fits in the hole snugly.
Does anyone else have any input on where to find these?

I do like Ross' gasket paper method
Where do you get gasket paper?

I'm thinking of just using the a paper gasket that came with the fuel pump and rolling that up.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 5:09
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Where do you get gasket paper?

Auto parts stores like NAPA have assortment packages of various types and thicknesses. you can also buy it from industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr and MSC. But if Ron Carpenter sells them, why not just buy them, how much could they cost?

Posted on: 2014/3/29 7:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved