Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fast Idle SPRING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Called Datona carb in Florida and ordered new rebuild kit which is suitable for methanol fuels. They currently don't have any of the fast idle springs, but due to demand are having some made and said they should have them in 60 days. Tim, their tech, said you really don't need the spring anyway. I didn't ask him that, he just offered this information.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

JoeSantana wrote:
Yes, Bill, you can see the hole on the fast idle cam in photo CarbSpring2.
And yes I have a hand throttle. Not sure how you get away without that spring. My car was "Fluffing out" because the choke was flipping closed and open without that spring connected (it had broken on one end)."

I recall a piece of leather in there was pretty shot. Will look it up.

Joe, could be the choke thermostat spring, the one in the housing, is not connected correctly or is broken. The spring should hold the choke plate open.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/14 12:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, are you sure you got that correct? I thought the coiled bimetallic spring closed the choke plate and as the engine warmed it relaxed it's tension and manifold vacuum completed opening the choke. Is my memory failing again?

As far as Tim's advice from Daytona, I'd be very reluctant to question his info, he's extremely knowledgeable and pretty much the top of the game.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, you are correct. It has to be as you describe. The engine vacuum holds the choke plate open against a warmed relaxed tension spring. I guess the question is still why was Joe's choke plate flapping around?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/14 17:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Jeff at:
Moose Motors
(707) 792-9985
has an orig spring and reproed me up one. Rec. yesterday and its right on.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
There is piston in the thermostat housing which according to the owners manual must be calibrated with a special tool if you take the the piston out for cleaning. Maybe this is the source of Joe's necessity for the fast idle spring?

Posted on: 2014/5/14 21:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved