Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 202

cooldude980, JohnCB, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ignition Timing Indicator '49 Super Eight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Can the timing indicator be mounted incorrectly on a '49 Super Eight? Instead of the pointer being between the block and generator, it points to the top right (looking toward the front of the car) of the vibration damper.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 12:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition Timing Indicator '49 Super Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The bolt hole spacing on the pointer are the same as the spacing on the timing chain cover so yes, it can be mounted in an incorrect position.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious where yours is actually located. Even if mounted incorrectly or upside down it seems as if it would be a long distance from the damper or else not fit between the timing cover and mount support bar..I am wondering if your engine has had some kind of substitution & has a mismatch between damper and/or different indicator than should be there.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
It's hard to see how it's mounted, because it is mounted behind the arc shaped support that the front motor mount is attached to. I suspect I'll need to remove the radiator to get a good look at it.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect I'll need to remove the radiator to get a good look at it.

A friend of mine who installed his incorrectly on his 23rd series never did correct his, I suspect he also deduced that the radiator would have to come out to get at it. In any case, a good timing job "by ear" is just as accurate.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 15:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
The mystery continues. The radiator is out, and will go to the shop for evaluation in the morning. Reorienting the timing pointer was completed. Now I find that there are no normal markings (TDC, etc) on the dampener. There are three 'scribe marks' within an inch. There are no other marks on the dampener. Is one of those scribe marks supposed to be TDC?

Posted on: 2014/6/8 13:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming some idiot didn't do something stupid in years past, the TDC or UTDP and degree marks should be there though sometimes they are faint and you often have to remove all the old paint to see them, especially if it's been painted over a few times.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 13:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
My thought pattern was the same as yours. The markings must be there, and just faded. Well, the dampener is down to shiny metal and there are no markings.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
When you find TDC on #1 cyl (via the "thumb on the spark-plug hole" and the rotor pointing to #1 plug wire on the dizzy cap) do the scribe marks align with the indicator in it's former position?

Perhaps someone used a balancer from another application and improvised the timing marks?

Posted on: 2014/6/8 16:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
That will be the next test.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 17:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved