Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Universal Joint Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Many of you that have helped me with a multitude of questions may be familiar that I am attempting to install a 38 powertrain in my 1937 (6 cyl.). My plans were to use the rebuilt 1938 powertrain until I can completely rebuild my 37 engine. It really goes against my preference of keeping my Packard completely original and I regret that I choose this path. It's been a nightmare of a project with constant problems. Now the biggest issue so far is after installing the powertrain the transmission tail shaft is about 1/4" to 3/8" from seating the universal joints from the driveshaft to the transmission as the attached photos show. Would anyone have any idea what may be causing this issue? I'm sure this is a tough question unless someone else has attempted this, I know I will not deviate from originality ever again when it comes to powertrains, a tough lesson learned !!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (24.13 KB)
58975_5430a773015f4.jpg 434X579 px

jpg  (25.57 KB)
58975_5430a7838c395.jpg 434X579 px

Posted on: 2014/10/4 21:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Universal Joint Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Some of those transmissions have two sets of holes for the engine mounts, a forward pair and a rearward pair. You might be in the wrong pair.

Is the overall length of the trans the same as the old one? Am not intimately familiar with those years, but would be surprised if they were much different between 37 and 38. If there is a significant difference, use the 37.

Perhaps also your slip joint is just stuck in the driveshaft? They usually have a generous range of travel but can get stuck on grease that has turned to wax over the years.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 6:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey Big C:

This one has me scratching my head.

The part number for the transmission flange is the same for the 115C and 1600. That's good.

However, the driveshaft and slip yoke part numbers are different.

Have you tried running a few long bolts into the flange to see if the joint will mate with the transmission?

Posted on: 2014/10/5 8:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
Make sure you don't have a 120 transmission output flange as the 120c flange and U joint are larger than the 115c or 110 parts. The transmissions are basically the same except for the output flange and gear shift lever bends and speedometer gear to match the rear ratio.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you to all of you for your input on my universal joint issue. I will check and submit a follow up on the forum

Posted on: 2014/10/5 16:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved