Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Todd W. White, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Buying antique license plates for use in CA
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
In N Y the laws seem similar to the calif. They have to be DMV clear for the number but also they had/have to be "unrestored and in useable condition". You have to send a pic to DMV of the UNRESTORED plates- (2 if not a ration single plate year) then after the # clear you can restore and register. I have 2 ny 1940 plates that are dmv verified with doc ready to go if any one is interested.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

TroyT wrote:

Jackson Barret just sold NOS still in the package 47 pair plates for $300, I see total junk going for $300-400.

You mean the Barrett Jackson auction house?

Posted on: 2014/11/10 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Try Gap at Great American Plates

gap@greatamericanplates.com

(o{}o)

Thanks! I'll reach out.

Posted on: 2014/11/10 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
If you can find a set for $300, BUY THEM! Calif YOM plates are very expensive.

$300 is really as much as I would want to pay and not much more. I see sets on eBay going for around that. They're in 'ok' condition: definitely not great!

Quote:

BigKev wrote:
A set of good YOM plates that a DMV clear is usually between $500-$1000....If you find a set of cheap plates, typically they are not "DMV Clear"...make sure whomever you buy plates from has a guarantee they are DMV Clear.

I just couldn't justify the expense of those plates on my Budget Clipper restore, so I went with regular vanity plates.

Spending $500-$1000 on plates won't be happening! I was reading some eBay user-submitted articles about YOM plates and the trials and tribulations of registering our antique vehicles with these. Glad CA makes it possible, but the process is a real 'process.'

On justifying the expense, I know what you mean. It is to me - guess I'm shopping for budget antique CA plates!

Posted on: 2014/11/10 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
That's some crazy pricing. Here in Indiana, to Register a Historical car is $19.95/yr and then it is free to request a BMV Affidavit to allow you to run YOM plate which links the registration to the YOM plate.

These are what we have for our 55 and 56, I paid less than $50 for each plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.49 KB)
17226_54617f2d807f8.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (31.26 KB)
17226_54617f3a5e8a0.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2014/11/10 22:15
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I wonder if it is legal to use a new, but looks like the old ones plates as sold in England.

http://www.american-number-plate.com/california-license-plate

Posted on: 2014/11/10 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I live in the great NW state of Washington. Moved here upon retiring from CA. When I licensed my 4 old cars in WA, I had to pay a very modest fee the first year with no subsequent renewal fees the following years (8). WA gives you one plate. As I had done in CA for 25 years, I collected matching plates from all over the USA.,for the years '51,53,55,66. Currently on the black 51 I have a set of 51 Ill, plates. I sometimes change the plates to put a new color on. My point is, I do have the correct registration and WA state supplied plate in the glove box, but I do change the plates all the time. I've collected cars since 1969 and have never.....ever.....been stopped by the law to investigate vintage plates on the car. If that should ever happen I could show the correct compliance with current law and apologize for leaving the car show without changing the plates first.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 12:48
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Like Steve, my cars have current Texas vintage vehicle registration and license plates. Texas charges most modest fee, $35 for 5-years. No inspection nor smog compliance required, but not meant for a daily driver. They all wear YOM or vintage license plates, but I keep the current Texas plates in the car. I was stopped once in the 55 Clipper for brake lights not working, but the state trooper never said anything about the 1955 Maryland plate I had mounted. I got my plates from Gap at Great American Plates.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/13 13:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
If you can find a set for $300, BUY THEM! Calif YOM plates are very expensive. Remember we are the largest car market in the world in Calif and probably as well have the largest old car market as well just by shear population and year round driveability. So there is a great demand for these plates, and not a ton of inventory.

I've got a few "Saved Searches" on eBay and looking at various listings about "Original Black Plate cars" makes me wonder if part of the reason Old California plates are so expensive is that some people selling cars use them to jack up the price. A car with old California plates seem to go for more money than one with contemporary plates.

Just a thought.....

Posted on: 2014/11/13 18:50
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a friend here in town who will remain un-named. He drives a 50 pickup with out of state plates every day, driving it to work. The plate is a 1950 plate, badly faded. He has been questioned several times by the police, but only to try to get him to sell the truck! But he does have an honest face....

Posted on: 2014/11/13 19:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved