Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 175

Darrin180, curpack, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Clipper defroster/footwarmer vs underseat heater
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A probably silly question for those who have Clipper style offerings and familiar with the operation and efficiency of the defroster and underseat heater. I don't think I ever rode in a Clipper when either of those items were used and could be evaluated. Would appreciate an opinion or two to help me in trying to decide the best way to free up space in the instrument switch area or how Packard would have done it if an owner decided to "accessorize". I'm reluctant to consider moving something under dash because of looks and also because the available space is already crowded.

The front unit is mostly a defroster. How effective is the tiny door on the bottom that opens to operate as a footwarmer and does anyone often use it just for that purpose? The underseat heater is usually great for backseat passengers but since the Clipper unit does blow in both directions does it really do much for those in the front seat. I know the later units only blow toward the rear so not very good for a drivers cold feet but curious how the Clipper unit compares.

The reason for the silly question is I'm considering sharing one switch for both units. Rather than both units operate simultaneously, operation would be similar to the prewar deluxe heater where there is only the single unit and one switch reverses the motor to control both functions. My approach all depends on which unit is more efficient or would be better at a job. Current thinking is have the defroster come on first at a single -- maybe high -- speed and then the second and third positions of the switch would stop the defroster and operate the heater at low and high. Does this sound feasible or would it be better to have two speeds on the defroster/footwarmer and single on the heater?

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Clipper defroster/footwarmer vs underseat heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I would think that a separate switch for the AC would be totally acceptable as an add-on item. Knowing how you work for perfection, I can see something nicely done. As requested, I will try and get photos of the ex-Hollingsworth 1941 AC equipped Clipper at Salado in April.

I had no experience with the heater and defroster operation of my 47 Custom here in Central Texas.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Howard, I would think that a separate switch for the AC would be totally acceptable as an add-on item. Knowing how you work for perfection, I can see something nicely done. As requested, I will try and get photos of the ex-Hollingsworth 1941 AC equipped Clipper at Salado in April.

I had no experience with the heater and defroster operation of my 47 Custom here in Central Texas.

(o{}o)

Thanks, John. Unfortunately, I'm familiar with the non experience part on heaters too.

On the AC controls, I was originally planning on them being under the dash but decided after they were done I didn't like the look after all. Since a couple of people confirmed that the switch was in the dash on Clippers and the COOLING knob was real decided on that route. Now need to clear up two spaces in the dash for the AC switch and my extra vent control.

Have already bought a modern push pull switch and reworked it to fit dash and knob. Had to add a separate contact to power the AC clutch but that was easier than I thought it would be. If I decide to combine the heaters will get another of the same and rework it for those items.

Am in the process of figuring out the knobs now. Don't want to change or modify good knobs except as a last resort. Since I would need custom knobs for the vent and combined heater functions anyway, am seriously looking into casting new. Just not quite sure of my skill set and if I could do a decent job with that project using diecast instead of plastic. Thinking out loud, the mold is the issue. Don't think silicone will stand the heat of zinc & lower temp metals don't plate well & sand is too coarse for a good finish without a lot of polishing. Maybe wax and plaster is an option. I can make the sides and top thicker but will probably still need to come up with some kind of homemade centrifugal casting because it is still a long & relatively thin piece to try and just pour.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 16:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard,
I did a bit of chilly fall driving. I am rather underwhelmed with both the heater and defroster performance, but I am probably making an unfair comparison to modern blowers, etc.
That said, I think the defroster function is more important from a safety/visibility standpoint. I'd go for defroster on high as you described.
Always grateful for your help,
Mark

Posted on: 2015/2/19 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I would agree with Mark that the defroster function is very important if you plan to drive the car in cooler temperatures. My '47 had both the defroster/ heater under dash unit and the under seat heat. Living along the shores of Lake Superior I used both units even in the summer in occasion. I found that the defroster unit worked best when the foot warmer door was closed and the defroster fan was in high. It was not very effective at lower speeds but worked quite well at clearing the windshield of moisture at the highest setting. The passenger floor received enough heat from the exhaust pipe in any event. My car was purchased in Winipeg Manitoba and has spent its entire live in northwestern Ontario. I often wonder how effective these heaters would have been at -40 which is not unusual for these parts. I doubt that they provided much heat to that vast interior space.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Howard, it might not be much help to you, but my RHD (Australian) '51 couldn't have a factory heater fitted, and I understand this is so for all RHD cars.

For a demister, the under-dash plenum chamber is there with its slots pointing up to stream air for demisting the screen (- an integral part of the car) so I was considering fitting a high speed air pump as a demister fan. (The type used to inflate air mattresses etc would possibly do).

I have found that demisting with cool air works better than using hot air in most cases, so it could be a reasonable work-around, given the lack of alternatives.

OK< it's totally non-standard but safer than 'misting up' for an accident. Would be out of sight / have a hidden switch and solves the problem.Even a 12v unit would probably provide enough air running at 6V and would be quieter at 6V (- as they are notoriously noisy!).

Maybe you could do a similar thing, avoiding some of the issues that you have?

I've got an under-seat heater which I haven't fitted yet, so no opinion about those.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 23:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I may be wrong, but...

I was under the impression that the "Defrost" switch only operated the unit under the instrument panel and that the defrost function was selected by moving a lever on the housing to direct the heated air up to the windshield. The "Heater" switch only operated the underseat unit. At least this is how my Clipper's equipment was operated.

Given that we know there was a "Cool" switch; did Packard not fit their AC equipped cars with an underseat unit? Or operate both units with a single switch?

I would think one could operate the unit under the panel and the one under the seat with one switch and regulate defroster with the lever. This would leave a space for the "Cool" switch.

I may be wrong, but...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/2/20 12:06
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John, you are correct in that there are two independent units and switches -- labeled Defroster and Heater. The defrost is basically just that except there is an additional tiny door at the bottom passenger side corner which can open to direct a small bit of heated air to the passengers floor. Packard called that function the footwarmer and might be good for the passenger but driver is left in the cold. There is no lever -- the unit is either on or off via the switch.

The underseat heater is the other switch and is what I believe they intended as the main car heater. It directs air in both directions under the drivers side seat. While it might help the rear passengers it really doesn't do much if someone has cold feet in the front seat. As the others have mentioned it is actually a small bladed fan so not really very powerful.

I would assume they did something under the dash for a fully optioned car. Out of the 8 positions there are 4 must have items-- Head light, instrument light, map light and cigar lighter. The other 4 standard knobs would be the heater, defroster, electromatic and fog lights. Assuming it was a high end model Electromatic would most likely be there so fog light is probably where anything extra like the AC or the fresh air option would go. If they had more than one option something would have to be moved or shared. My guess would be the fog lights would go under. If they also had AC then it gets questionable. Maybe there is documentation somewhere that said if you had this option you couldn't have that etc etc.

Mine is a bit over the top needing two slots but have it planned. My vent control is an addition so it and the Cooling switch will be the top two on the right. Heater and defroster will now share another modern switch under those. First position will work the defroster and second and third the heater.

I'm curious how many Clippers might have had the deluxe heater/defroster with reversible motor instead of the two separate units. I have one of those and the special Clipper switch for it. Actually thought of using the heater but it is huge in comparison to the standard Clipper defroster unit. Takes up a considerable amount of the passenger floor and leg area.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 14:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, here is a photo of the front interior of my formerly owned Clipper showing the front unit. A small lever with an ivory colored knob can be seen. Is this the same as yours? Sounds like you have the AC switching figured out and an elegant solution it is.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (117.10 KB)
565_54e79209efa93.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2015/2/20 14:59
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the standard defroster/footwarmer used with the underseat or as Packard named it, Dualstream heater.

Here is Packards description of the operation in footwarmer mode. Their calling it a small door is appropriate. It is a flap of metal which pivots in the center. Opening is approx 2" long x maybe 1/2" wide on either side of the pivot. You can angle it a little -- wide open shoots air straight to right corner of floor. Not opening wide and it can direct a bit more straight down.

I am amused by the arrows they show in the illustration denoting air flow. The chances of hot air they show getting to the drivers side in any great quantity is not high. Unless the car is equipped with the optional fresh air vent that brings outside air into the rear of the unit, all air is recirculated. Intake is on the right side of the unit directly above and behind the small door. Not much probability hot air will make it to drivers side before getting sucked back in. I suppose with the defroster function moving most of the air eventually the car temp will warm and even out but until it does it is mukluk time for anyone with cold feet.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.14 KB)
209_54e7a0dab4c4d.jpg 509X432 px

Posted on: 2015/2/20 16:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved