Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi all,

Yes I am a 1948 guy here crashing your 55-56 party however I have a question with respect to the power steering system on these models because I am planning on transplanting a 1955 PS system into the 1948.

JD the guy from Max Meritt has a Monroe NOS PS actuator/control valve assembly and he recommends the Monrow because it is less complicated than the Bendix and that sounds good to me.

I received this feedback from a guy online regarding the power steering unit. He had a 1949 that some previous owner had added PS but the current owner did not know what kind of unit it was and he even removed it. Have you also heard of these two issues? If so is is a function of the Monroe verses the Bendix unit?

He said: "I think power steering is great for parking but I don't care for it when driving on windy roads, as I do near my house. The power steering of that era inhibits the steering wheel from returning to its center position so it almost seems like more work on windy roads. Also, a long-term Packard mechanic advised me that if it was not already leaking, within a few years it probably would be".

Posted on: 2015/4/7 14:08
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Compared to modern systems, the recovery may be a bit slower so you may have to do some movement of the wheel. Maybe the other guy forget he was winding a huge wheel and rather easy fixed ratio compared to modern or even some other cars of the time. PS was just getting started and IMO, Packards system had better road feel and recovery than Chryslers. The system I remember from my Grandmothers 51 New Yorker was very sensitive and light and not all that responsive. You pretty much commanded or directed it completely. A properly adjusted Packard with PS will recover but won't be like your modern ride.

As to leaks, as long as the seals are fresh and kept moist with fluid and the chromed rod finish is not scratched they seem to hold fluid very well. The rod not being protected from weather and dirt on the roads could have a lot to do with how soon they leak. I believe some mfgs had a boot over the rod of Monroe or Bendix systems they used but as far as I know, Packard never offered one. Maybe an aftermarket steering stabilizer bellows type boot or something like that cold be adapted.

Posted on: 2015/4/7 14:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Any time that you ad PS, you can add positive caster to the alignment for better road tracking and quicker steering return. Little caster is used with manual steering as it increases steering effort.

Posted on: 2015/4/7 17:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also, a long-term Packard mechanic advised me that if it was not already leaking, within a few years it probably would be".

I'd disagree with your Packard mechanic. Given freedom from abuse and good care, the system can last dozens of years without leaking, as evidenced by quite a few 50s Packards in my area with original components.

Posted on: 2015/4/7 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks guys.
I was opting for the increased caster option. Naturally this is 1941 Packard and it can can be adjusted with only "X" amount of positive caster. I am hoping for 2 degrees positive.

What are your alignment specs?

With respect to the comment about the steering wheel not returning to neutral after a turn, is there any hint of this on your cars?

Posted on: 2015/4/8 12:23
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With respect to the comment about the steering wheel not returning to neutral after a turn, is there any hint of this on your cars

Only when maneuvering at very, very low speed (almost stopped) from a full or near-full turn; in that case the system still returns but depending on the situation you may want a little assist by hand to speed the process. Other than that situation the return to neutral is prompt and accurate (Bendix system). The situation with return to neutral at very low speeds is also a characteristic of manual steering.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS Owen.

Any feedback from the Monroe guys? I am opting for a Monroe because I can get one NOS and it is more compact than the Bendix.

Posted on: 2015/4/8 18:20
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved